Symlink to reduce write to disk?

• Hi,

I'm currently using SSD for my OMV, and most main software are installed on it.
    However, I plan to install another software onto the SSD, but I want to reduce the read/write to a specific data folder.
    Folder2ram can't be use in this scenario because this folder needs to save data frequently.
    Symlink can link to different drive and partition.
    If I symlink (soft or hard) the data folder to another drive such as my RAID drive/data drive, will that reduce the I/O to my SSD?

Folder x is the folder that I want to symlink.

Here's the scenario:

----Software ABC
    --- folder A
    ---folder b
    ------Folder B
    ----folder x

Thanks.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

How often is "frequently"? An SSD should be able to handle it if it is a good quality SSD.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Give the precise paths.... not this scenario stuff.

/abc/a
    /abc/b
    /media/uuid/

What folders do you want to move to the data drives?

Yes, SSDs are getting better and better. SD cards are as well.

• I"m using a Samsung EVO 850.
    I haven't finish install the software yet.

Not only I'm concerning the write but it may run out of space in the future on the SSD.
    That's why I want it to use it on the /media/

The software would be /opt/ABC/x ----> /media/UUID/www/ABC/x

Would the symlink help though?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Yes, it would reduce writes on the SSD. I tell you how to do it regardless.

stop the service, whatever the command would be.
    service abc stop

mv /opt/ABC/x /media/UUID/www/ABC
    cd /opt/ABC/
    ln -s /media/UUID/www/ABC/x x

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sure but you might have to mount the data drive without the NOEXEC flag. The software won't let you set where the log files are located in the config? This would be better than using a symlink.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• https://snipeitapp.com/

The main three folders that have a lot of read/write:

Code
    chmod -R 755 app/storage
    chmod -R 755 app/private_uploads
    chmod -R 755 public/uploads

Meaning the drive would read the symlink from the SSD then write it to /media/ ?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• It would not read or write from the system drive. It is basically redirected to the data drive for the read/writes by the symlink.

I would have to install snipeit to check it out. No time right now. Are you sure it is read/write intensive???

• This is what the documentation says:

Zitat

You’ll need to make sure that the app/storage directory and its subdirectories are writable by your web server, since caches and log files get written there. You should use the minimum permissions available for writing, based on how you’ve got your web server configured. You also need to change permissions for your uploads directory for user avatars and model images.

I"m going to move the three folders to the media drive, and then symlink them to the system drive.
    Thanks guys.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unless you have thousands of users using something like that, it isn't going to have anywhere near the number of writes that collectd/rrdcache has. I don't think it will use that much space either. I don't think you need the symlink. And remember that reads don't wear out an SSD.

• When they were working on the flashmemory plugin they used something to see what folders/files were getting a lot of writes. That was very helpful. Probably would be for you too.

• I like this thread. I have same hardware and similar questions and concerns.

I have already installed Flashmemory and will install in again when I reload onto the smaller Samsung EVO 850 I recently bought.

I will read further about symlink and its uses and I will look for posts specifically related to SSD configurations.

I have also created a folder with links to posts I have found useful so I can more easily find them when I want to compare or review previous posts.

OMV 2 |64 bit|

Your Test Results are back: You are Granted License to Own a Computer But Your Recent Score Does Not Allow For You To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to it.
    You may study and retake the Exam ... If your score is sufficiently improved the License may be upgraded to allow for Mouse and Keyboard Connection.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!