Upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 failed

• Yeah, I'm thinking do a fresh install over this holidays.
    My Plex, Emby, and Nextcloud folder reside on my RAID, that should be fine, right?
    What o you use to backup the plugins settings?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

To be honest I wouldn't recommend upgrading from OMV 2.0 to 3.0 its a nightmare.

I tested upgrading with a fresh OM V 2.x VM fully updated with omv-extras, minidlna, and nginx installed. Other than the d-bus error (requires reboot), the upgrade went perfect.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I was debating whether or not to perform an upgrade on my NAS to 3. I've had a VM that I've been using to test things out with (like setting up Docker, etc) and a few other things. Decided to bring the VM up to what I have similar to the NAS (plugins etc) then take a snapshot and perform the upgrade. Sadly it failed. The two times I ran it, it failed in different spots. Gives quite a few errors regarding mdadm and no arrays, which isn't a surprise as I don't have a raid configured in my VM. ran a few of the apt-get commands (upgrade etc) then another image popped up saying to perform an omv-init or something like that. I did, it gave the same mdadm errors. I rebooted and it failed to boot, sitting at a grub recovery.

I'd like to avoid a clean install but I think I'd rather do a clean install over quite possibly losing data.

On my NAS, the system disk isn't raided at all, but I do have about 7 disks set up in a single RAID 6 with the raid split up using LVM and everything is ext4. The RAID was configured within OMV and not the raid controller on the motherboard. I'm just worried it's going to be a real pain to get back to where I am now with all the plugins I'm using plus the raid config etc, file shares, etc.

• Well, I give up with testing the upgrade. It "succeeded" once out of over 20+ attempts in my VM with numerous different additions/removals of plugins including all plugins removed. The one time it did succeed, Grub was still screwed up which is a relatively easy fix (took a bit of searching but finally figured it out). If I have this many problems with what is pretty close to a clean install, I'd hate to know what would happen with my NAS that's been running for over a year now.

I'm now going to focus my efforts on making a "clean install" as quick and painless as possible

• Offizieller Beitrag

i thought it is´nt possible to upgrade .... because of new systemd - method in Debian 8 ?????

It is possible. There are just some plugins that don't upgrade well.

Not being to upgrade between major versions is not uncommon. Redhat Enterprise Linux and CentOS don't support upgrades. You have to install fresh. Upgrade from OMV 2.x to 3.x is an upgrade from Debian 7 to 8 AND OMV 2 to 3. That is a lot to change without some problems.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I did a fresh installation, and it running wells.
    I figured it may be a headache to troubleshoot issues for upgrades.
    So far, I'm happy with OMV3.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!