ATA Error Count Increasing - what's going on?

• The following was part of the output of smartctl -a command of one of my (nearly) new WD Reds.

I got email notifications stating that ATA Error count was increasing on that drive, but the SMART says SMART READ and LOG SMART WRITE LOG were leading to the error.
    Any idea what's going on? A bug with SMART READ and LOG SMART WRITE LOG within OMV? A defective SATA cable and/or insecure connection? A defective HDD?

No sign of failure observed, for now. So I guess WD won't replace the drive for me.

OMV 3.x | Linux Kernel 4.9

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von zzz09700 ()

• Try do a smart test.
    Then replace the sata cable and/or switch the SATA port.
    Otherwise, your hdd is going bad.

SMART test (short/long) shows the drive is good. I even plugged it into a Windows system and tested it with HDTune, nothing appears to be wrong.

What is possibly going on there? I'm using the cables came with ASUS X99 Deluxe Motherboard, don't think the cable is bad.

It looks like the ATA Error count only increases when I use OMV Web GUI to read SMART, but not every time I do that.
    I turned off SMART monitoring from OMV Web GUI and manually set up a cron job (through SSH) that reads SMART every half an hour (smartctl -a /dev/xxx), no error showed up in the last 48 hours - I used to get one error report every day.

• i also have increasing ATA Error count from time to time with my WD Red Drives.
    but i never entountered any real issues.

just ignore them as long as you don't have any issues and they don't appear so frequently.

• i also have increasing ATA Error count from time to time with my WD Red Drives.
    but i never entountered any real issues.

just ignore them as long as you don't have any issues and they don't appear so frequently.

I think I successfully got rid of the problem by disabling disk spin down timer and setting SMART power mode to Never. I used to have 20 min spin down timer and SMART power mode set to Sleep.
    I guess OMV was trying to gather SMART info when the disk is not spinning and that's the cause.

Edit: I think I got it figured out - it is more likely a problem with the HDD's firmware than a problem with OMV.
    So I'd say disable the disk spin down timer solves the problem and I don't see any problem with disks not spinning down since WD Reds are rated as 7x24 NAS drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!