Problems booting after install to SD Card

• Offizieller Beitrag

For some reason I can't install to 64, 128, or 256GB SD Cards, but when I tried to use a 32GB card it worked fine.
    With the larger cards, the install goes fine, but on boot I get the error:

At a guess, it's BIOS related? And there may to 2 BIOS' involved, the host adapter and the motherboard.
    ryecoaaron has way more experience with something like this. I've never seen anything like it.

(The only thing that comes to mind is, with building a USB thumb-drive and the Debian installer said something like, "error partitioning drive - reboot recommended" or something like that. I rebooted, went through the install routine again and on the second time around all was fine.)

If I were you, with 24GB, I'd disable swap file as @gderf suggested. (BTW - the instructions for that is in the GUI, on the Flash Memory plugin page when installing activating it). Then, as a work around, have you thought about partitioning the SD-card? That might work and Gparted will do it. Size the first partition for 30GB and leave the rest unallocated. Wear leveling should be able to use it.

With that much RAM, you should be fine without a swap file. I'm running a little Atom box with 4GB ram, no swap file, and a 4TB ZFS mirror with zero problems.

• Then something in the bios is throwing this, is there a bios setting to enable ahci

This server the HP DL360 G7 apparently doesn't support AHCI.

At a guess, it's BIOS related? And there may to 2 BIOS' involved, the host adapter and the motherboard.
    ryecoaaron has way more experience with something like this. I've never seen anything like it.

(The only thing that comes to mind is, with building a USB thumb-drive and the Debian installer said something like, "error partitioning drive - reboot recommended" or something like that. I rebooted, went through the install routine again and on the second time around all was fine.)

There definitely is a BIOS on the SAS card, but I ran into the same issue after I'd physically removed the card.

At this point I've installed OMV to various SD cards and USB thumb-drives easily a dozen times, and haven't seen that error. I guess this older server just isn't easily compatible with OMV or Debian.

Yes, run swapoff from the command line. And no, just idling along would not be a valid test. Only operations that use up all the memory would trigger a swap, and if there is no swap available the machine would crash.

I ran swapoff, and did as much as I could to test the system. Was able to run a Windows VM without any problems. I used DiskGenius to erase the Linux Swap folder, then expand the primary partition. The system would boot, but not without a screen of error messages.
    The first screen was filled with this message again and again mdadm: No arrays found in the config file or automatically, then later at the bottom before loading OMV, A start job is running for dev-disk-by\(long list of characters).device.
    I tried creating the OMV disk again from scratch, then using DiskGenius again. Same errors. So I guess the Linux Swap is needed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This server the HP DL360 G7 apparently doesn't support AHCI.

Right that kicks that option into touch.

The P410i controllers are strictly Raid only there is nothing you can change disabling as you have done is the best option. Been searching re your PCI-E card, during the machine initialisation you should see the card displayed then Ctrl C will get into the bios of the card and it should also show if the card is running in IT mode.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have an older commercial server from around the same time frame (X5660 CPU's) and ran it using USB thumb-drives for awhile. But I've only used 16 and 32GB. Rather than fight it, it might be easier to buy a few flash drives in that size range. The price is reasonable.

As @geaves mentioned previously, based on this thread, I bought a Dell H200 and flashed it to IT mode. The Dell card provides 8 ports and transparent SMART pass through. I threw out the original RAID only, Adaptec card. (SMART stat's was an issue with the original card.) Links to the flashing process are in the thread.

• I ran swapoff, and did as much as I could to test the system. Was able to run a Windows VM without any problems. I used DiskGenius to erase the Linux Swap folder, then expand the primary partition. The system would boot, but not without a screen of error messages. The first screen was filled with this message again and again mdadm: No arrays found in the config file or automatically, then later at the bottom before loading OMV, A start job is running for dev-disk-by\(long list of characters).device.
    I tried creating the OMV disk again from scratch, then using DiskGenius again. Same errors. So I guess the Linux Swap is needed.

DiskGenius may have handled removing the swap from disk and expand the primary partition but it looks like it didn't cleanup you fstab file.

Seeing multiple lines of "No arrays found in the config file or automatically" during boot is normal.

Seeing "A start job is running for dev-disk-by\(long list of characters).device" shows that the system is looking for the swap partition that is still specified in your fstab.

You need to fixup your fstab. Comment out the UUID line that mounts swap.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!