One hdd with two partitions

• So. Im installing omv 4 right now and read that I have to delete all my storage on my hdd in order to use it as media storage on my pi with omv 4. Now I was curious :can I partition it into to sections to avoid deleting everything?

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

read that I have to delete all my storage on my hdd in order to use it as media storage on my pi with omv 4

Where did you read that?
    On a RPI the OS (Debian with OMV as service) is installed on a SD card. The HDD you connect to the RPi via USB can be used completely as storage. However for permanent use the filesystem on the HDD should be a filesystem that uses the features of Linux, e.g. ext4. You can create different partitions on the HDD and create different filesystems on them. You are able to mount each of the filesystems in OMV separately.

On amd64 where you install the OS normally on a SSD or HDD OMV will use the complete SSD or HDD in the standard configuration.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, ntfs is not suitable for permanent use with OMV.
    But why do you want to keep the ntfs filesystem? Is your intention to move the USB drive between OMV and your laptop/dektop?
    In that case be aware that OMV will give errors if you just pull the USB drive. Not a good idea.

The idea of a NAS is to have a central storage for data and access these date from all devices in the network. As there is SMB there is no need for a ntfs filesystem on a NAS.

• I don't have another storage So I want to create another partition so I don't have to delete my already existing files. I can then move them over to the other partition and afterwards give the free storage back.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!