How to setup Nvidia in Plex docker for hardware transcoding?

• Hello,

Thank you for your advice I bought a quadro p600 and I no longer had problems with the drivers!

I also took the plex pass, I activated hardware acceleration but my CPU is still used for encoding ....

Do you have any idea how to fix this problem?

• ok so there is a known issue with the 5.9 kernel and nvidia driver. you have to roll back to the 5.8 kernel.

You can do this in the OMV extras "Kernel" tab. Change it to 5.8 and reboot. you should also hit the button "hold current kernel" that you don't update it the next time.

Thank you 1000000 times for letting me know this page exists. The amount of times my server has rebooted to a newer kernel and my Nvidia runtime containers didn't start until I reinstalled the driver........

• Tama. Thanks so much. Great guide. Needed to change kernel to 58 and had to use a different driver for my card (450.80.02) for a Geoforce 1050 ti. You don't say anything about backport/header installation. Did you do this before this driver install or does this do it automatically?

Thanks. ML

• Tama. Thanks so much. Great guide. Needed to change kernel to 58 and had to use a different driver for my card (450.80.02) for a Geoforce 1050 ti. You don't say anything about backport/header installation. Did you do this before this driver install or does this do it automatically?

Thanks. ML

Hi ML!

I mentioned in my first comment:

Zitat

My Openmediavault System is OMV5.3.9-1 with Linux 5.4.0-0.bpo.-amd64 kernel and NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660. Plex hardware transcoding works for me based on the following (If Plex doesn't hardware transcode, check this video) :

Step 1: Install the NVIDIA driver based on the second option (How to install NVIDIA driver by using the official nvidia.com package step by step instructions).

(If you are installing another bpo kernel, you will need to reinstall the Nvidia driver compilation prerequisite: apt -y install linux-headers-$(uname -r) )

in this comment shows the "omv.jpg" & "linux-headers.jpg".

Currently, My Openmediavault System is OMV5.5.20-1 with Linux 5.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 kernel, NVIDIA Linux Graphics Driver 455.45.01 (Linux Short Lived (Kernel 5.9 support)) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660. Works well

Fixed: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-460.27.04

• After lots of time trying to figure it out I got it to work on a new install. Kernel 59 only one available now. After going through much of the processes described got 460.32.03 to install from the run command. The installed the headers, blacklist nouveau, fix, and patch. Now nvidia-smi works. Haven't got to the docker installation yet. Wanted to get through this first. But portainer and Yacht are installed. Going to hold this kernel in OMV

Good Luck

• chris_kmn!! Thanks.

During setup it can't find the libnvidia directory. Not sure how to set it up. Kernel 5.8 not available now. Just versions of 5.9. Is there a way to get a old kernel into OMV ? Then i will reinstall drivers. Did you install CUDA toolbox?

Thanks alot.

ML

• It took me 3 days to get transcoding to work on Jellyfin. I couldn't get it to work because my GTX 970 was not compatible, lol. When I replaced it with my GTX 1080 and updated the Nvidia Driver's, it finally worked. Thanks Tama777.

• Hi everyone, I followed the guides on page 1 (thanks tama777 ) as well as the troubleshooting steps and it seems like I have a good driver install and have the container runtime all sorted but am still stuck and unable to get Plex to transcode on my Quadro P620.

OMV 5.5.17-3, Linux Kernel 5.4.78-1-pve, Docker version 5:19.03.14-3-0-debian-buster

I run docker run --gpus all nvidia/cuda:10.0-base nvidia-smi and see

I also see the associated nvidia/cuda:10.0-base container appear in portainer.

I have my Plex container environmental variables for NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES = all and NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES = compute,video,utility and RUNTIME = nvidia which I set when recreating my plex container. My plex container has valid permissions.

I checked the noexec issue under config.xml and the flag wasn't there.

I have "use hardware acceleration" and "use hardware-accelerated video encoding" checked in my server settings. I have an active plexpass.

When I transcode a video I see the transcode occur in the plex dashboard but all the work is being done by the CPU and when I run nvidia-smi I see

I've hit a wall with troubleshooting. Can anyone provide some additional insight?

TIA!

Xeon E3-1240v3

X10SLM+LN4F

32 GB Ram

8x4 TB Ironwolf RZ2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!