Recycle bin not getting created

• Hello together.

I successfully setup a OMV Server. For testing the share behavior, i plugged in a usb stick. in OVM i created the fs etc. Iam also able to mount it from my Windows PC.

I also enabled the recycle bin option. When i delete an file now, it still is getting deleted instead of moving it to "/srv/sharefolder/.recycle/user".

after taking a look via ssh i recognized, there isnt any .recycle folder getting created. I really can't figure out why it wont work. maybe someone can help me in that case please?

Thx in advance

Greetings Caaruzo

• Are you sure you are looking in the correct location? Also files and directory names that begin with a dot are hidden unless the tool you are using to view the location has this capability enabled - have you accounted for this?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Yes, iam on the correct location.

The path iam visiting has the same content like the mounted Windows one.

iam also aware of the hidden file thing. using -la option for this ofc.

Code
    root@testsrv01:~# cd /srv/dev-disk-by-label-STICK/stick/
    root@testsrv01:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-STICK/stick# ls -la
    insgesamt 12
    drwxrwsr-x+ 3 root     root    4096 Mär 25 13:14  .
    drwxr-xr-x  4 root     root    4096 Mär 25 11:11  ..
    -rwxrw-r--  1 testuser users      0 Mär 25 11:16 'Neues Textdokument.txt'
    drwxrwsr-x+ 2 root     testgrp 4096 Mär 25 13:13  Test
  • The .recycle directory is created in the root of the SMB/CIFS shared folder. It is created only then when a file is deleted.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• The .recycle directory is created in the root of the SMB/CIFS shared folder. It is created only then when a file is deleted.

Additionally, the file must be deleted via a CIFS/SAMBA connection to the share.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• If you execute testparm in a shell you can check the current Samba settings. If the recycle bin is enabled, something like vfs objects = recycle and recycle:repository = /path/to/recycle bin/directory in the [global] section must be contained there.

Edit: This can also be a per share setting. Then you should find the entry in the respective share section.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• yes its there. Already checked that.

• recycle:maxsize = 0

Nice setting! Every file you have is greater then 0 byte I assume:)Therefore it is not put into the recycle bin. I would suggest to remove this setting or to define a more useful value.

Explanation samba.org:

recycle:maxsize = BYTES

Files that are larger than the number of bytes specified by this parameter will not be put into the repository.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• i know but 0 means no size restriction. Also tryed it with 1000000000 bytes (1GB).

Created and deleted a text file. Still no recycle folder :/

edit: and removing wont work ofc, cause all settings that are made manually will be overridden on save share settings in omv^^

• edit: and removing wont work ofc, cause all settings that are made manually will be overridden on save share settings in omv^^

You should not edit smb.conf directly, always use the "extra options" field of the SMB/CIFS settings or of the Samba share settings.

So maybe "0" ist the default setting indeed, if you haven´t made this entry by yourself.

In this case everything seems to be OK and deleted files should be moved to the recycle bin.
    So I´m out of ideas.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• You should not edit smb.conf directly, always use the "extra options" field of the SMB/CIFS settings or of the Samba share settings.

Oh ok, my fault. thx much for that hint :D

So maybe "0" ist the default setting indeed, if you haven´t made this entry by yourself.

In this case everything seems to be OK and deleted files should be moved to the reycyle bin.

Yes it is, its really weird. Hope someone knows a solution for that, cause he maybe had the same issue.

• Try to set browseable = yes for this share. This could be another possible reason.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was curious when this thread was created so have followed it through, I have enable the recycle bin on one of my SMB shares and have deleted a file so that the folder ./recycle gets created. I can view this using WinSCP on W10, to get the hidden folder to display on the share under Windows in file explorer, select view on the menu and check Hidden Items for that share, it takes a few seconds for ./recycle to appear but it does work.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• It works for me too. So it should be possible for Caaruzo too.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Well i figure it out now.

It also works with browsable=no.

What i all the time have done is the following.

"/stick" is the share. on this i created an folder. in this folder i deleted a file. it didnt worked all the time.

for a .recycle folder getting created, the first file need to be created on the share root and deleted there.

Really weird. But thx much all for ya help.

• It should also work with a file in a subfolder. I have found out only one thing that deleting an empty folder did not move it to the recycle bin. But that´s no problem for me.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• This is an extract from my smb.conf where recycle bin is working. There is browseable = no and recycle:maxsize = 0 similar to yours.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Hello Guys,

I have enabled recycle bin in samba share. The problem is that the .recycle folder stays hidden. I want keep it visible by default.

And sometimes the deleted file appears as .samba111347 in .recycle folder.

Would love to get an insight.

Thank…

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!