OpenMediaVault 0.6 Where are we going !

• Thanks very much for the quick reply. Since I need newer versions of a few packages I'll give it a try.

Do I have to upgrade squeeze to wheezy manually before changing the OMV rep or does OMV that for me? Originally I installed OMV 0.5 directly and not on top of Debian.

• I installed OMV 0.5 and therefore run squeeze. I did not install squeeze on its own.

I imagine once kralizec is officially released it will handle the Debian upgrade from squeeze to wheezy on its own, as part of the OMV upgrade. My question is, if it does so already.

• It does not, yet.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi,

Just a bit of the thread and what concerns me is the intention to drop 32 bit support.

I am using a small thin client style PC with an ATOM N270 which is a 32Bit only CPU.

Performance wise I am OK with it and I love OMV, but if you guys drop support for 32 Bit users will leave.

I believe I am capable to install OMV by hand on wheezy but other users cannot.

Please consider to keep 32 bit support.

Thanks,
    Komar

• I believe I can install OMV all by myself over a fresh 32bit Debian, but not everyone can.

I just fell in love with OMV and I feel that in order to draw a bigger crowd OMV we should have both ISOs.

• Just my two cents... keep the 32-bit ISO.

We have a few of these small-ish PC's (they used to be phone systems, see http://www.keison.co.uk/ic-tal…16_soho_media_manager.htm) laying around, they have this motherboard (with integrated processor) in them... http://www.techbuy.com.au/prod…TX/VIA/EPIA-ML6000EAG.asp.

We don't use them for anything that needs to be ultra quick, they just take off site backups... but even that little 667Mhz integrated Via 32-bit processor can do that.

I would however love to see some official documentation with OMV 0.6 that shows both how to install OMV on top of a 32-bit and 64-bit base Debian 7 system... but for those that can't follow such instructions the 32-bit ISO is worth keeping to make use of this kind of older hardware which is frankly still useful for purposes like this where cutting edge isn't the priority.

Steven

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is very easy to install on Debian 7...

Install minimal Debian 7 from netinst iso and then:

Code
    1 - echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    2 - apt-get update
    3 - apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    4 - apt-get update
    5 - apt-get install openmediavault
    6 - omv-initsystem

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There is a next command that must be run after the first step to install OMV.
    Otherwise, the second command (update) stopped with an error message.

Code
    apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 7E7A6C592EF35D13

The list is full with this command:

Code
    1 - echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    2 - apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 7E7A6C592EF35D13
    3 - apt-get update
    4 - apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    5 - apt-get update
    6 - apt-get install openmediavault
    7 - omv-initsystem

It is possible that there is a different, more appropriate command for this.

• It doesn't stop with an error, it just tells that it can't verfiy the packages from the repo (yet). This will be fixed with installing the openmediavault-keyring package, which of course throws an error too while installing it, which can be ignored, too. After that all packages are verified.

Your command is as appropriate as the one we offer. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Technically, if you add that line, you don't need to install the openmediavault-keyring package. I also have never had apt-get update *stop*. It does warn you but doesn't stop unless you say no.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• New to this forum here. Hi all.
    Let me throw in my 2ct. (probably worth even less)

I've been looking into the NAS options for some time. I ended op with OMV for several reasons.
    for what i can tell, i would advise OMV to focus development on Btrfs.

I know it is marked experimental, and so should the plugin/option be in OMV for that time.
    But when it is ready (can't be that far away anymore), so will OMV be. And it will be a big plus. OpenSuSe will push Btrfs soon, others will follow shortly. Don't be behind, be ready.

Capacity of drives will continue to grow (6T now) and so will the problems associated with those large drives be. rebuilding RAIDS, bitrot, etc etc. Problems these new file systems partly solve.

FreeNas and Nas4free have ZFS as big selling points. However, ECC is highly recommended for ZFS. Most "spontaneous" NAS builds will not have this. It seems this is less an issue with Btrfs.
    I was very charmed by the ability of FreeBSD running from flash USB-drives. Discussed to death already in these forums, Indicative of the need for it.
    Apparently not easy to accomplish, but in my opinion a valuable option

Have a nice day.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A zfs plugin will be here in the near future. Not sure if a btrfs plugin could be started from that plugin (never used btrfs or zfs). As for solving the bitrot and other problems, snapraid (while not realtime) does solve those problems as well. Read here.

Running omv from a usb flash drive is probably not going to happen. You can always use an ssd with a sata-to-usb adapter or even get a usb flash drive that supports static wear leveling.

• I know that Volker is interested in BTRFS, but if he implements it he wants to use it for everything, meaning he wants to replace both LVM and MDADM with it.

I PMed him about BTRFS to get some more of his thoughts about it.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

I know that Volker is interested in BTRFS, but if he implements it he wants to use it for everything, meaning he wants to replace both LVM and MDADM with it.

It can't replace mdadm right now because btrfs raid 5/6 requires the backports 3.14 kernel and is still much more experimental than btrfs itself. Read.

• Well, that's what Volker said to me some weeks ago or so. I know that BTRFS is still experimental, but the Link tells me that it is unable to be used for OpenMediaVault for RAID concerns.

Maybe Volker will switch to backports kernel sometime in the future, I know that iscsi was the only reason that 0.5 and lower did not ship with backports kernel by default.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!