OMV on Synology DS220J

• Hello,

is it possible to install and use OMV on Synology DS220J?

I think the Hardware is very interesting for homeusers with low requirements and if low power consumption is important.

Unfortunately I have not found any statements about OMV on DS216, DS218 nor DS220. Basically I think OMV should run on the hardware (Realtek RTD1296 ARMv8), but I have no idea how to put omv into the memory.

I would be very glad if someone could post his experience with that hardware.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you can get Debian on it, then you can most likely run OMV. A quick search and I don't see anyone running Debian on it yet.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks a lot. This information puts me an important step forward.

I have found some (German) sites where people show how it is possible to run debian on Synology DS via chroot but I have found a quite new posting that it is no longer possible.

Considering my low experience with Linux and headless systems I had need a plug and play solution. So that means for me that it is not possible.

So I will build my NAS with a more flexible plattform, maybe Biostar A68N-2100E or -5600E.

• I migrated away from Synology and built a custom OMV server using PC parts.

If you want to be plug and play, go for Synology: it's expensive but good.

In the meantime you can:

• Learn Docker, which won't run on that Synology: you need a more powerful and expensive NAS with an Intel CPU. You need Docker because if you want to add any application to OMV5 you'll have to use it.
    • Play around with OMV in a VM. You can play there without the fear of breaking anything.
    • Use the forum: most of your questions or issues will probably be addressed with a search, otherwise just ask.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!