Samba - Name Resolve Order - host/s misatch

• well, thank you.... at no point did you say, why did you enable wins.

You said why did you add that .given i have been talking the whole time about the name resolve order.....

one assumes you are talking about the same option that i have been.

Would have been easier to ask me in the first instance, about enabling wins.

am trying to connect windows 10, linux clients to the nas via the cifs shares

i disabled wins, and took out the name resolve order. It seems to have made some things come to life.

I do however get the following errors now: -

winbindd[1466]: idmap range not specified

smbd[1376]: WARNING: Failed to create BUILTIN\Administrators group! Can Winbind allocate gids?

WARNING: Failed to create BUILTIN\Users group! Can Winbind allocate gids?

I am also getting smb_audit journal entries with permissions now, which i wasn't getting before.

SMBD Empty Logs & no smbd_audit.log

But i still see nothing under system logs / smb/cifs audit.

• gwaitsi

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Bug: Samba - Name Resolve Order - host/s misatch“ zu „Samba - Name Resolve Order - host/s misatch“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I do however get the following errors now: -

winbindd[1466]: idmap range not specified

smbd[1376]: WARNING: Failed to create BUILTIN\Administrators group! Can Winbind allocate gids?

WARNING: Failed to create BUILTIN\Users group! Can Winbind allocate gids?

I take it that's in the syslog, my suggestion would be is to remove every SMB share, disable SMB (not forgetting to save then apply) reboot your server and start with the SMB shares again one at a time, confirming that each can accessible on your network.

Before you ask why the reasoning behind it is you could go round in circles trying to resolve it, best start with a clean slate

• geaves after i did those recommendations i.e. removing winbind, etc, i can no longer browse devices in explorer or on the linux machines.
    win10 machines can map the drives to the shares, just can't see the devices. i should probably mention.

nas / samba server is on subnet 60

clients are on subnets 70 or 80

I was previously able to see the server and clients in the win10 explorer when winbind was loaded

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sorry but my 'cabin fever' has taken a turn for the worse, did you actually look at my suggestion in post 23.

nas / samba server is on subnet 60

clients are on subnets 70 or 80

what does the above mean, I can guess, but do you know/understand.

• i have multiple vlans. the server is isolated, and as well as the other types of users

the server smb.conf has

domain master

local master

vlan 70 has windowsand libelec linux clients (libelec should only be a client and see the server,

windows should see all machines in all subnets - currently can map succesdfully - before it could see the other machines)

vlan 80 has linux and windows 10 clients (linux should see the server and windows clients, windows should see the linux and server)

re 23. I did that. didn't make any difference, but removing winbind per one of the earlier suggestions is what i suspect broke things.

oh. and the linux mint client can map to the nas box via autofs cifs setup, but not see any shares through the nemo browser

better to have cabin fever, than be a statistic ;)

• Sorry I don't know win 10 but on 7 the windows firewall would only allow same subnet. You might need to allow the other subnets.

Seems winbind may be installed by default in newer versions. In the good old days it wasn't. Sorry

i use comodo on my machines and they are configured to allow the appropriate ports. previously they could browse, until i followed some of the suggestions in the thread. I looked up the suggestions and found them to be sound, so am reluctant to reverse back. would rather find the real cause to maintain the win10 security standard

the other thing that is worth to mention,

if i \\nas or \\client the device and shares appear in the windows network browser

if i use nemo on the mint machine and connect to share it works also. just not the network browser

• Offizieller Beitrag

TBH this is becoming confusing, if this;

if i \\nas or \\client the device and shares appear in the windows network browser

works then I can't see a problem.

This on the other hand;

if i use nemo on the mint machine and connect to share it works also. just not the network browser

is not a ball breaker and has something to do with the config on Mint.

• yes. both linux and windows client can map the shares if specifically added.

but it is an annoyance when you can't simply use the browser in either client. i agree it is not a show stopper, but i would still like to get to the bottom of it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the server smb.conf has

domain master

local master

If you have added those to Extra Options, again not necessary.

but it is an annoyance when you can't simply use the browser in either client.

OK, when you refer to browser in W10 do you mean File Explorer -> Network

• i have removed those two, and yes to the 2nd part.

I should also add, the windows 10 machines can see each other under explorer -> network, if on the same network.

They can map across different networks.

this sounds like a name resolution thing and which probably explains why it stopped after wins was disabled.

wsdd is supposed to be fulfilling this function now right. it doesn't have any errors under its status. and i have installed on the linux client now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!