Trying to pass through ports to Docker apps

• If you can connect to the port from your LAN but not the WAN then either something is wrong with your router port forwarding or your ISP is blocking those ports.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• If you can connect to the port from your LAN but not the WAN then either something is wrong with your router port forwarding or your ISP is blocking those ports.

So I thought of something that I should have thought of earlier. I mentioned in the beginning of the thread that I have a web server running off of port 80 on a windows box inside of virtualbox on OMV. I just launched the mumble server on that server and made the adjustment in my router and sure enough I got a success message on that port.

I double checked my network settings in OMV - I have a single static IP set up.

• Look in the logs for the mumble container. Something is not right with it.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Look in the logs for the mumble container. Something is not right with it.

I am starting to think that there is something in the network setup. I have nzbget running on port 6789 in another docker. I verified that I can open it up internally via the browser and then I forwarded a port to it - no success.

I checked the IP settings in OMV again. It is running a static IPv4 address and the subnet is the same as the router (if that matters). IPv6 is disabled.

• Are you absolutely sure that you are using the same and correct IP address everywhere?

Also, don't test from within the LAN by trying to connect to your public IP address. Many routers do not support that.

--

• Are you absolutely sure that you are using the same and correct IP address everywhere?

Also, don't test from within the LAN by trying to connect to your public IP address. Many routers do not support that.

Completely sure - I've had OMV's address be 192.168.1.100 since I installed it several years ago. I did have a second adapter set up but that's been disabled for a while now.

Oh, sorry - I meant that I opened up nzbget in the browser just to be sure that the port was right. Now that I think about it, I am not so sure about the previous statement about having the docker set up to be "Host" and not "Bridged". How else would the traffic coming in to the docker know that it is one docker or the next? Apps that have clients (like mumble) default to a port but web apps like nzb get require the port number in the browser.

• In a browser, anything that use a port other than 80 or 443 is going to need to have the port specified in the URL.

When using dockers, every container must use unique host ports. If using host networking and two or more containers want to use the same host ports, this will not work. In this case bridged networking with specified host:container port assignments must be used for one of the two containers and non-conflicting ports must be specified.

--

• In a browser, anything that use a port other than 80 or 443 is going to need to have the port specified in the URL.

When using dockers, every container must use unique host ports. If using host networking and two or more containers want to use the same host ports, this will not work. In this case bridged networking with specified host:container port assignments must be used for one of the two containers and non-conflicting ports must be specified.

Right - so I had unique ports specified for all of the different containers. Any idea what else I can check? Would it be helpful to plug in the second adapter with a new IP and use that IP address in the docker? I am just guessing at this point.

• I wouldn't add another adapter into the mix. It would require that it has an IP in a different network and your router can't talk to both of them.

It's easy enough to delete containers and start over......if you create them the easy way.

--

• Also, don't test from within the LAN by trying to connect to your public IP address. Many routers do not support that.

This. Did you check with your phone without beeing in the same network aka on LTE?

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• This. Did you check with your phone without beeing in the same network aka on LTE?

Greetings

David

Correct - I do know enough not to test on my LAN.

So I am back to a single adapter and the original problem: I can't get a port forwarded to any docker. As I mentioned a while back I had problems getting some of the tutorials to work back in the day - this is probably the reason why. Can you think of anything else that I can try or check?

• So, some Ports are working (like 80 and 443) and some are not working? Or are none working?

Can you verrify wether or not you have a Dual Stack or Dual-Stack lite connection?

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thanks you again. To summarize, I can open up any other port on my network with no problems except for those that are in a docker in OMV. I could not forward the port to my mumble server docker but I could forward it to a mumble server installed inside virutalbox (windows 10) on the same OMV box.

According to whatismyipaddress the dual stack test returns an IP address for IPv4 but not for IPVv6, which makes sense as I have not configured IPv6. Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

• To boot, I'm new to Docker myself, but you haven't mentioned if the murmur container is on the same network as your letsencrypt container (or I missed it or maybe you don't need a webserver). In other words, is docker network connect of use? It's 1 of the defining characteristics between your working and non-working scenarios.

FYI, according to your screenshot the PUID and PGID are both 999.

We need to assume that you're on your bare metal OMV box where you can give us a list of the currently runner containers. In this case, that list should *ONLY* be 2 running containers, letsencrypt and murmur. On that same OMV box kill the VirtualBox service/daemon, Win10, or whatever else you got going on. In this case, also kill all VM services/daemons on all machines on the network. Again, it should just be your OMV box and 2 containers on the network (hopefully that's possible).

Code
    docker container ls

and

Code
    docker network inspect <whatever_you_named_it_muchgooder>

docker network inspect

Where did you get those earlier screenshots of the docker ps -a command from? I notice the background is white, did you invert your terminal colors or use a web app?

You REALLY need to take an hour and read how to create your own docker containers for general things (docker create).

• To boot, I'm new to Docker myself, but you haven't mentioned if the murmur container is on the same network as your letsencrypt container (or I missed it or maybe you don't need a webserver). In other words, is docker network connect of use? It's 1 of the defining characteristics between your working and non-working scenarios.

You REALLY need to take an hour and read how to create your own docker containers for general things (docker create).

Thanks olduser, I really appreciate it. You're right, it's been on my to-do list. Unfortunately I lost my job a few months back and I've been furiously re-training myself to try to change to a different platform. Unfortunately I know just enough in this area to set some things up and not enough when stuff like this happens.

Before I try the tasks you mentioned, are you saying that there needs to be a network connect set up in order to make dockers accessible in the way I am trying to access them (external access)? For the record I am not using LetsEncrypt or anything similar.

• To summarize, I can open up any other port on my network with no problems except for those that are in a docker in OMV.

Can you reach the service from your network?

Before I try the tasks you mentioned, are you saying that there needs to be a network connect set up in order to make dockers accessible in the way I am trying to access them (external access)? For the record I am not using LetsEncrypt or anything similar.

Nope. Usually a bridge is just fine.

Greetings

David

• Yes, all of my dockers (mumble, sabnzbd, sonarr, etc) are perfectly usable anywhere in my network.

That would suggest to me that the issue lies with your router or internet provider.

Greetings

David

• That would suggest to me that the issue lies with your router or internet provider.

Greetings

David

Thanks again for the response but I disagree with that. Once again, I can externally access mumble server when it is running inside virtualbox inside of OMV. I also have mumble server docker running on OMV on the same network adapter and if I point the router to that docker it doesn't work.

To summarize:

- I have yet to be able to pass through ports to anything that is in a docker on OMV

- I have no other problems passing through ports to anything else on my network, including an instance of windows that is running in virtualbox on omv. One note - that windows box is running on a virtual IP and not the same IP as OMV's network adapter.

• It may be possible that there is something wrong with the IP tables stuff within docker, but I do not have OMV 4 so I don't know how that is done there.

On OMV 5, in OMV-Extras | Docker tab there is an iptables setting with two choices: Use legacy and Use nft. I do not know anything about these choices. Is there a similar setting on your setup? If so, try both settings, maybe it will work.

If it's possible to uninstall and reinstall Docker in your version of OMV, try that, but I have no idea if this will remove your containers or not.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!