Mounting through Web Interface throws error and lets OMV reboot

• Hi community,

I just added a new software raid and waited till it got completely synced. Afterwards I created an ext4 filesystem. As soon as this has been finished I wanted to mount the filesystem. This gave me an error in the web interface (502 - bad gateway). My server rebooted itself (slowly) afterwards. Slowly means it did not disappear immediatly, but slowly shut down and rebooted.

After the reboot the web interface showed me a pending change. When I tried to apply it now, it rebooted again. When I dismissed it, everything was fine, except it was not mounted. I could not find anything suspicious in the syslog.

When I use salt to deploy fstab, the drive is mounted, but I cannot add a shared folder.

Any ideas?

• When I tried to apply it now, it rebooted again.

Openmediavault do not do an automatic shutdown or reboot. Which hardware platform do you use? It sounds like a problem of the power supply. For me this could be hardware related.

OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
    ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

• I think something on the OS side fails. This is a reproducable behaviour. I have an Intel 1155 Sockt board with a Xeon on it. It works since several months and is reliable over month, except I do what is described above. I even could reproduce it on different hardware. Maybe the amount of drives is too much (9 drives at all)?

• Maybe the amount of drives is too much (9 drives at all)?

I've had 20+ drives connected to an OMV system with no problem before. I would check syslog and/or the screen to see why it is rebooting.

omv 5.5.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• After the reboot when I apply the pending config changes, the watchdog sends me following mail:

Message from watchdog:

The system will be rebooted because of error 2 = 'No such file or directory'

And this is the syslog (between 19:32 and 19:34):

Sep 25 19:32:02 blackbox systemd[24529]: Reached target Sockets. Sep 25 19:32:02 blackbox systemd[24529]: Reached target Basic System.

Sep 25 19:32:02 blackbox systemd[24529]: Reached target Default. Sep 25 19:32:02 blackbox systemd[24529]: Startup finished in 56ms.

Sep 25 19:32:02 blackbox systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 0. Sep 25 19:32:02 blackbox systemd[1]: Started Session 67 of user root. Sep 25 19:32:37 blackbox kernel: [ 7135.772237] watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop! Sep 25 19:34:49 blackbox systemd-modules-load[351]: Inserted module 'coretemp' Sep 25 19:34:49 blackbox kernel: [ 0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x21, date = 2019-02-13 Sep 25 19:34:49 blackbox kernel: [ 0.000000] Linux version 5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6), GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.31.1) #1 SMP Debian 5.7.10-1~bpo10+1 (2020-07-30) Sep 25 19:34:49 blackbox kernel: [ 0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

• Something is going on with the system according to watchdog. So, it is unresponsive. What kernel are you using?

• Yes, but unfortunately I cannot see what exactly.

5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.7.10-1~bpo10+1 (2020-07-30) x86_64

This is the kernel I use.

I had the same error before, several times. Usually using salt to fix fstab solved the issue. This time unfortunately not.

• Try the proxmox kernel (tab to install it in omv-extras) to see if it helps. And is there anything in /var/log/watchdog/?

• Thanks for your suggestions.

The watchdog log directory is empty and I trying the proxmox kernel now. I will update this answer afterwards.

One thing I think I saw: It looks like OMV is unmounting the "/" (root) partition, when trying to mount a new partition, which triggers something to restart the whole machine. But this is just a guess.

UPDATE: No change in behaviour with the proxmox kernel. When clicking "Mount" I still get "

Removing the directory '/' has been aborted, the resource is busy." followed by a crash of the Web-UI and then a reboot.

• Anyone else has suggestions or knows what is happening when I press the mount button?

I do not understand how it can happen, that the root Filesystem seems to get unmounted.

Or is there a possibility to see pending changes and what they look like?

Thanks a lot.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!