Overview of new setup

• Greetings OMV Community,

I've just setup an old PC with a handful of drives as a trial run for a future build. Could I get feedback on if I did things right, please?

Goal - Setup OMV as I use my synology. A mass pool of storage with parity. No docker or other features. Just NAS.

Install is on SSD and 5 spare HDD's ranging from 500gb to 1TB.

-I've install OMV, checked for updates, and installed extra features and setup mail notifications. -I've formatted all the drives as EXT4 under Storage -> File Systems. -SnapRAID -> 1 drive designated to Parity (parity and content check marked), the other 4 are labeled and set to data/content checkmark. -UnionFS -> 1 directory with the content drives, Most Free Space - Policy -Cron job -> snapraid sync

Does this look right? Any other scheduled task I should setup?

• Cron job -> snapraid sync

I would not do an unconditional sync. Run a diff first and decide based on the result to either sync or not. There are numerous helper scripts available that can be configured to do this including the one bundled with OMV.

The very important thing to look at in diff results is the number of deletions. Were they deliberate? If so go ahead and sync. If not then fix them (recover) then run another diff and evaluate.

If you run an unconditional sync and later discover that some files are missing you may not be able to recover them if they were deleted before the sync.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!