ACPI and ata error after power outage

• After a power outage last night the server started booting into emergency mode, used fsck on a disk that was giving troubles and it booted normally, but now I get spammed with errors in command line, the system seems to be working fine, but if I want to log or use the command line I keep getting new error on top of what Im trying to do.

Took a picture of the errors:

Tried updating everything in OMV, but no luck.

Any help?

Thanks

EDIT: I started to test ram and so far no errors, but had to reboot and it said I had to manually fsck the drive to be able to initiate omv, and was stuck on initramfs (I believe that was it) and had to Ctrl+D (IIRC) to get it to boot OMV

EDIT2: Finished testing both ram sticks, each by itself and both at the same time and I had no errors.

EDIT3: I keep getting into initramfs after some reboots saying that I have to manually fsck a drive, even aftter doing several times before.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm guessing your boot drive is a spinning hard drive...? If so, I'd try building OMV on a USB thumbdrive to see what happens.

Otherwise, here's a reference to something that may (or may not) fix the issue. ACPI BIOS ERROR.

Looking at the ATA bus errors takes the potential cause of the problem in another direction. ATA Bus errors.
    I would activate SMART, run a long test on all drives, and check SMART attributes. One of the disks, or it's interface board, may be damaged.

Here's a list of attributes to check:

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

• sorry for the late answer, the os drive is an ssd.

Tried removing all disks and installing on a usb omb 4.19. Its just been a couple minutes, but I've non of the errors I was having before.

I should have an image of the OS disk and a copy of all files. Is there a way to restore some of the previous config? I'm more worried having to configure again all the dockers and shared folder.

• The image is of the os that was having problems, will try it at least.

The other image I have is really old, june 2019, was thinking that maybe theres a way to replace some of the files from the bad os (like some config or something) to that old image or a new install, but have no clue if it can be done or how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

was thinking that maybe theres a way to replace some of the files from the bad os

The answer to that one is "no". While config.xml can be used as a reference, it can't be lifted out of one installation and put into another freshly built installation.

That wouldn't be unlike attempting to splice an old windows registry into a new install. It won't work. There are other supporting files and settings.

The other image I have is really old, june 2019,

If this older image is the same as the OMV version that has gone bad, it's worth restoring it and trying to update it.

The real problem is with your Dockers and their configuration. If you went with defaults, your Dockers and their configuration are on your boot drive. The only way to easily restore your Dockers and their configuration(s) is from an image or a copy of your boot drive.

In the bottom line, regularly backing up the boot drive is a real good idea if the configuration is complicated. When Dockers are considered, greatly adding to complexity, OS backup is even more important.

• For some reason every time I restores the OS images that I have it wouldnt boot and act as if there was no disk connected, but could install omv with no problems.

What would you recommend to keep a backup? So if something like this happens again I can just restore it from the backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, for my purposes, I boot OMV with USB thumbdrives. It's a dirt simple process to clone and rotate thumbdrives. The process is covered in this -> guide, under OS backup, along with the rational and times when updating the clone is a good idea.

There are other methods of OS backup as well. Many people backup without knowledge of, whether or not, their backup will work. The important thing to do, as you're now aware, is to test the OS backup (that results from the method used) before it's needed.

• Thanks, I remember using the image and it working fine, probably when I created the image, but just gave up and am starting with a clean install and will use the same method to create an image of a pendrive, but connect the ssd with a usb adapter. Want to get everything set up and working and make an image then.

With the clean install I tried copying var/lib/docker, from my previous install, and all my dockers appears, but it throws an error

Error #0:
    OMVModuleDockerException: Error: "" - Code: 0 in /usr/share/omvdocker/Utils.php:74

Tried copying /usr/share/omvdocker/ as well, but it keeps throwing the same error, thought might be permissions and just chmod 777 everything in both directories and still the same error. I did read that it should work, but no luck

• Offizieller Beitrag

but connect the ssd with a usb adapter

That works fine and will save a SATA port. I know of a couple forum users that do that; use an SSD into a USB adapter. Get a 3.0 or 3.1 USB adapter. Things will go a lot faster.

Note that imaging a large SSD may take a lot of time which is why the users I know that use SSD's with USB buy 16 to 64GB drives (small). If it's larger, you could partition the SSD, (using partition magic) and set the partition to 16 or 32GB, and check the box "Read Only Allocated Partitions" in the imager software.

Tried copying /usr/share/omvdocker/ as well, but it keeps throwing the same error, thought might be permissions and just chmod 777 everything in both directories and still the same error. I did read that it should work, but no luck

I'm surprised it worked at all. Docker uses overlayfs which is complicated and when Docker internal \ external users and permissions are considered, it would be difficult to "import" an older configuration.

Rebuilds are not all that hard but when Dockers are in the picture, it's just easier to clone boot drive complete. Rebuilding and recreating Docker config's can be really painful.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!