New Storage Build

• Hi,

I am a user of UNRAID for the past 2 Years.

Now that we have to expand our Storage Device. I came across OMV (open media vault).

I have a 60 HDD bay Super Micro Chasis. 256GB of RAM, IntelXeon E5-2690v4 (dual CPU)

I was planning to populate all 60 HDD for this particular storage but current os does not support more than 30 HDD (28 Data and 2 Parity)

Does the OMV have the same limitation or is there a catch?

Regards.

• Hi, OMV5 is based on Debian 10. Hence all limits of this distribution apply. Please check the current limits on their site

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was planning to populate all 60 HDD for this particular storage but current os does not support more than 30 HDD (28 Data and 2 Parity)

Does the OMV have the same limitation or is there a catch?

Unraid is Linux just like OMV but Unraid uses their own proprietary raid version that must have these limits. mdadm, zfs, btrfs do not have those limits.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can still use a RAID config for as ZFS, with all 60 Drives ?

Not sure I understand what you are asking in the first half but you may want to think hard whether you want/need 60 drives in the same array but it should be possible.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Just curious, but would it be possible to create something similar to 60 tmpfs partitions and test? I'm not sure what mdadm requires physically.

Also FWIW, 30 doesn't seem... right. Just by guessing from normencalture, I'd think it's 255 or 65,536.

Well, I found this...

This is shown as "Array Slot" by the mdadm v2.x "--examine" command

Note: This is a 32-bit unsigned integer, but the Device-Roles (Positions-in-Array) Area indexes these values using only 16-bit unsigned integers, and reserves the values 0xFFFF as spare and 0xFFFE as faulty, so only 65,534 devices per array are possible.

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_superblock_formats

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just curious, but would it be possible to create something similar to 60 tmpfs partitions and test? I'm not sure what mdadm requires physically.

Probably. I could add 60 disks to a VM too.

Also FWIW, 30 doesn't seem... right. Just by guessing from normencalture, I'd think it's 255 or 65,536.

According to the kernel wiki, mdadm support 384 disks in version-1 superblock - https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/i…rsion-1_Superblock_Format

• Not sure I understand what you are asking in the first half but you may want to think hard whether you want/need 60 drives in the same array but it should be possible.

I need it as I will have to buy another separate Hardware for a Storage Box as the Existing Supports 60HDD .

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!