Human readable mount point for data disks in the web UI?

• I am currently testing OMV5 in a VM before upgrading my NAS and I have noticed a few conflicting changes:

- Sharedfolders mount points have been deprecated;

- The mount points of the sharedfolders by UUID are not shown anywhere in the UI;

- Docker management is now handled by Portainer which default to the system disk and do not acknowledge the OMV sharedfolders from the OMV UI (or discover the UUID mount point).

As far as I can see, the default configuration leads to:

- Forcing users to SSH the NAS to configure any cron job or commands related to data disks (and forcing lambda users to SSH the NAS - most probably with root access - for basic tasks is like opening a pandora box of support tickets);

- Defaulting docker storage to the system disk (I think I don't need to explain why it's the worst idea);

- Once again forcing users to SSH the NAS to configure the docker plugin and each containers instead of using the UI (same pandora box problem).

It doesn't make sense to me why a NAS OS would force users to SSH the NAS for tasks that could previously be done using only the web UI.

Am I missing something or did the OMV UI developers just forgot that many tasks in OMV require to know the mount point of sharedfolders and that a web UI sole purpose is to avoid using SSH?

P.S.: It's a genuine question. OMV has always aimed for a consistent, user-friendly UI before so I'm surprised that OMV5 is hiding basic information such as mount points from the users and forcing them to use SSH instead of the UI for basic tasks such as cron jobs or docker configuration (especially considering how popular is docker on OMV).

P.S.bis: I have been a SysAdmin on and off for 25 years, and have had a NAS for almost 20 years so, please, no noob answer.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Eurbaix () aus folgendem Grund: a bit of personal history

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, if OMV grieves you so much...no one is forcing you to use it. There are at least 19 alternatives to OMV.

Sharedfolders mount points have been deprecated;

That is just not true. Your next sentence acknowledges that much. It has just been changed...for a good reason.

The mount points of the sharedfolders by UUID are not shown anywhere in the UI;

Not by default, but it is easy enough to display. Click on any category header in the Sharedfolders tab and check Absolute path in the drop down.

- Docker management is now handled by Portainer which default to the system disk and do not acknowledge the OMV sharedfolders from the OMV UI (or discover the UUID mount point).

The docker storage path has to point somewhere at the initial install. There are no shares at first boot. Where would you have it point at that point? How hard is it to set it it to /srv/dev....../docker once you’ve mounted a drive, created a user, and created a share?

hiding basic information such as mount points from the users and forcing them to use SSH instead of the UI for basic tasks such as cron jobs or docker configuration

OMV has a Scheduled jobs tab (no ssh there), and docker has Portainer, where you can deploy a container in at least three different ways, none of which involves ssh. I’m not sure what you are talking about here.

The rest of your post is just a rehash of the first section of misinformation, exaggeration, and falsehoods.

For someone who has “been a SysAdmin on and off for 25 years“ you sure seem to be afraid of the command line.

Now, if you would like to stick around and contribute, that’s fine - this IS a friendly and helpful forum. Just one thing: stop whining.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!