how to get started developing software ?

• hi everyone,

I've always been pretty computer savvy, most of it has been on a user-level. At university I followed a 1 year java course, which I really enjoyed, but other than that I never dove any deeper into app development.

When I see projects like OMV and all the different plugins and dockers, I get curious if it would still be possible to get in on the action a little bit. Instead of whining on forum for feature requests, it would be nice to get my own hands dirty and contribute a little bit. Who knows even do a career switch into a more IT oriented job.

I'd like to hear some suggestions what you think is the best way to start? Like which courses to follow or which language to learn or perhaps a great project to contribute to?

thanks in advance

• Hi, at best the project matches with your existing professional skills, so you have to manage only one learning curve (programming).

I'd search github, projects often use the label "good first issue" or something similar.

https://github.com/ayushagg31/awesome-for-beginners#java could be a starting point

omv 5.5.23-1 (usul) on RPi4 with Kernel 5.10.x and WittyPi 3 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I'd like to hear some suggestions what you think is the best way to start? Like which courses to follow or which language to learn or perhaps a great project to contribute to?

You can learn coding using quite a lot of services: udemy, udacity, sololearn, freecodecamp, ... There are masses on tutorials and handbooks for almost every programming language.

It is impossible to start coding right away with a big or sophisticated project. IMHO you should take a look at the projects you like and you want to contribute to. Get a bug report and try to find the issue. Try to read and understand the code. Try to find the part of the code which is responsible for the issue. Maybe you'll even find a fix for it. You can learn quite a lot. Learn the language in parallel and at one point start coding your own stuff.

• That are two interesting routes I hadn't considered before.

Which language would you recommend? Looking at the GitHub link above there are so many, even more than I thought...

It looks to me that Python is the most popular?

• Which language would you recommend? Looking at the GitHub link above there are so many, even more than I thought...

Personally I'd choose the language of the projects you are most interested in. If you want to learn a language, C, C++, Python, Java, or Kotlin (for Android Apps) are IMHO very popular.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!