Win8.1 Pro - automated System-Image?

• Hi guys!

I've been very busy past weeks. Now I'm on holidays and have to find back the red line in this forum. But - I've need a solution to a problem first. Maybe you can help me.

I just updated Dad's PC to "Win 8.1 Pro".

In "Win 8.0 Pro" we used the "Windows 7 File Rescue"-Feature. That was great. Every sunday, when my Dad get's up after sleep, he turns the PC and does typical "Sunday-morning-things". When he's finished the newspaper, the PC has been completely backup-ed.

So far so good. But the feature is gone in Win 8.1. :evil: The only way to get the job done is to use the command-line and the Task-Scheduler in windows. I'm running the command

Code
    C:\Windows\System32\wbadmin.exe  start backup -backupTarget:F: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

once a week and it's doing fine. The downside: There is only one backup. I want to store older backups too. So I need a "don't-delete-old-backups"-option - but I can't find one...

Ideas?

Oh - 3rd-Party-Software is not an option.

• Does he backup to an OpenMediaVault server?

If so i could think of a way around that with OpenMediaVault.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Well... do some batch scripting fhat generates a new folder everytime (with the actual date).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• How many backups??? Can you set 2 jobs. I typically have a folder for a machine and inside the folder I have 2 folders, Bk1 and Bk2. Both are full backups. The newest backup replaces the oldest of the 2.

• Damn Windows... :lol:

As I have no Win here, it is untested. But should work...

Code
    setLocal EnableDelayedExpansion

pushd C:\dir\databackup
    for /f "tokens=* skip=8" %%F in ('dir /b/o-d/ad') do ( del /s/q %%F

rd /s/q %%F)

You can change the number "8" to how many backups (folders) you wan to keep.
    you still need some code around to create folders with date and of course the actual backup.

• Soo...

Here´s a tested version (works here with win 7)

It
    - creates a folder with the current date
    - deletes the oldest folder if it reaches the number you can specify after "skip="

Now you simply need to do the backup part with "start". ;)

• This is not possible via batch by itself. Maybe with a second Batch, opening the other one...?

Dunno if a good batch to exe converter has an option to do this...

But you can create a VBS that starts your batch file hidden:

Code
    CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "C:\YourBatchFile",0,True
  • chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!