Server upgrade: Move OMV4 vs upgrade vs new install OMV5

• Hi there OMV Community!

It is time for me to upgrade the hardware on which my NAS sits and I have a dilema.

Right now OMV4 is running on a HP Proliant Miniserver N54L with 12GB RAM. The OS is on a 128GB SSD (where only 13GB are busy) and the storage is made from 3 x 4TB WD Red in a ZFS pool equivalent of Raid 5.

I plan to build a custom computer that will hold the NAS but also some other services based on a AMD Ryzen 7 1700.

My question is what would be my best alternative in this case:

1. clone or use OS SSD in the new build and continue with OMV4

2. upgrade the OMV4 to OMV5

3. install directly a fresh copy of OMV5

I would also mention that the OS disk for the new build is a NVME so I will use the old 126GB SSD as fallback scenario.

I am comfortable with terminal and getting my hands dirty, I would just avoid a very big loss of time.

Also from my initial judgement: 1 is easy but temporary, 2 is prone to upgrade problems, for 3 I would need to make a lot of settings but I would have the chance to do them on clean.

Thank you for the support!

• If you clone your SSD you should run sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc on the clone before doing anything else (this fixes the debconf entry where to install grub, which is based on the UUID of the target device). Otherwise your upgrade can fail. One of the checks in the upgrade scripts should catch this scenario though and exit the upgrade process.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!