Solution for controling CPU fan speed from OpenMediaVault (without changing fan/cooler)

• Hello,

Is there a way to control CPU fan speed from OpenMediaVault? I thinking about swaping my CPU cooler/fan to other, but maybe there are some possibilities to configure it from linux-side?

My current setup:

processor: AMD Athlon II X2 245 with stock AMD cooler/fan

mainboard: ASRock K10N78M

omv: 5.6.4.-1 (Usul)

kernel: Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

docker: 5:20.10.6~3-0~debian-buster

portainer: 2.1.1

From bios side in mainboard H/W monitor section I have option to configure fan speed, but these options are very limited. I am able to set Slow/Medium/Fast cpu fan speed and target CPU temperature. Right now I am in bios settings, target fan speed is set to slow, target cpu temp is set to 50 celsius, and current RPMs are about 2500-2600 with cpu temp at 40 celsius. For testing purposes I slowed down fan with my finger to about 1000 RPM and below and the fan is barelly hearable now.

Additionaly I have a limited space in my case (it is SFF case), fan dimensions are 70x70 and I have limit of 13 mm to socket AM3 lever from one side, and about 30 mm to upper case (50 from heat sink). So my options are very limited.

Please be advise that I am totaly newbie in linux systems, so any detailed help with getting and installing software will be very pleasant.

• I can't answer the software side of your question - perhaps google for "linux commandline fan utilities" or similar - but you may not want to keep using the stock AMD cooler in a server system which is assumed to be running 24/7.

Noctua makes very nice low-profile coolers and this one, for example, may be just right in terms of 1. quietness and 2. long-term reliability.

No, I don't work for them. :P

• I can't answer the software side of your question - perhaps google for "linux commandline fan utilities" or similar - but you may not want to keep using the stock AMD cooler in a server system which is assumed to be running 24/7.

Noctua makes very nice low-profile coolers and this one, for example, may be just right in terms of 1. quietness and 2. long-term reliability.

No, I don't work for them. :P

Thank you cubemin for your sugesstion. I was thinking about swapping stock fan or complete cooler for different one. Cooler proposed by you is quite expensive for me - in terms that I've spend literraly nothing for components of my omv server (just bought ssd for system and complete case with power supply for about 36 us dollars, and some cables). I was thinking about Gelid Siberian Pro but it is too high. Now I was thinking about Arctic 64 GT - should fit in my case and performance is similar to Gelid (and it cost about 8 us dollars).

There is some software solution:

https://github.com/fergbrain/omvsensors

I will try (again) to install and run it anyway.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!