Omv 5 + Desktop Env = Media Server\Retro Gaming Station Suggestion

• Hi I'm opening up this thread, to ask some suggestion an experiment with Omv5 as a Media Server that I would like to try.

My intention:

I have a beefy server at home that right now is just sitting in my closet used as a Backup\Nas with Omv5 installed on top of Debian Buster without a DE, what I was looking for is to experiment with it and give it the functionality of a media server\retro gaming station connected to the tv as well.

Scenario:

My server is in a closet of my house connected at a switch.

My Smart tv is in another room of the house connected trough ethernet (I would like this to act as a "monitor" for the server in the closet.

I already installed emby through docker and emby app on my smart tv and that's it for the media server ability.

Now the last piece that I missed is to install on it retropie (as it works with x86 as well) to use the emulators and have the hdmi signal show through my tv to play with games\emulators and so forth.

So my main idea was just to install a lightweight DE like xfce on the server, then install retropie on it as well and use and hdmi to ethernet extender to get the signal onto the Tv and call it the day.

Now it rises the problem:

• I know that have a DE is not the best thing on a server, so I was wondering is it better to run it on a docker?

(in this situation I'm worried about performance, I don't think the docker instance can take full advantage of the graphics card installed in the server, I don't even know if it is possible or how to tell the docker container to make use of the hdmi extender for the Smart tv signal).

• So here my idea to go ahead and install a proper desktop enviroment on the server itself and just proceed from there to have one less layer of abstraction, so to make use of the graphics card and the hdmi extender.
    • Any other more elegant solution that I didn't think of to achieve it?
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Any other more elegant solution that I didn't think of to achieve it?

Yep, anything that doesn't involve a desktop environment on OMV. Why do they have to be on the same system? Put OMV on the server. Run retropie/libreelec on an RPi. And rpi4 can run just about any emulator.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• mmmh I was thinking the same at the beginning, but I would like to emulate also the wii with dolphin and raspberry pi 4 with 8 gg are not powerful enough gpu wise to succesfully run most of the fun wii games like mario kart and so on.

Also I was more of the idea to not buy anything new just use what I had around and not to have another node to upgrade\upload and take care in the network especially.

I would love the portability of it though, but gpu wise...they are still bad.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could run retropie as a VM and pass the gpu (not onboard) through to the VM.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yep, anything that doesn't involve a desktop environment on OMV.

Old post I know but what are the reason for this Rye?

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

what are the reason for this Rye?

Desktop environments have tools to change settings that could conflict with OMV. They also can mount filesystems which would not work for OMV.

• so retropie is out the window ill give it go any test it

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

so retropie is out the window ill give it go any test it

retropie will run on any RPi. I wouldn't try so hard to consolidate everything on one RPi. Look up an Odroid Go Ultra to run retropie on.

• retropie will run on any RPi. I wouldn't try so hard to consolidate everything on one RPi. Look up an Odroid Go Ultra to run retropie on.

I have a dell 3050 micropc

What about this docker linuxserver/webtop?

I'll have a look thanks

• Well ive installed OMV and retropie on the dell. All went well and OMV is working fine. Only problem is I can't get retropie to boot after I rebooted OMV it comes up with the OMV login screen and not Retropie

• Yea you are right to hard and no point. Was worth a try

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!