Shared Folders

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

I have been watch installation videos and i noticed that it is possible to insert the shared folder when binding folders when installing applications. Is this only available in OMV4 as i am unable to find this directory as per the screenshot. At the moment i use the Relative Path. where can i locate this directory with out have to use the Relative Path all the time?

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/19656/

The problem with using shared folders, it was causing problems with docker, so it was disabled. You can enable shared folders... even in OMV 5 I do believe, just can't remember how.

IMO, Your best bet in your situation is learn to use the symlinks plugin. Personally I created a folder called "NAS" on the root directory (you'll have to do this at command line).. then any directory I want easy access to at the command line level, I just symlink it under that directory and it makes it very easy to cd into (ie, cd /NAS/Media). This makes it where my docker-compose files almost write themselves... (see examples)

• Kim0201

Thanks for your reply & examples it is the examples that help newbies like me. i have already setup my ssd drive with Media. config , appdata & general, for the time being until i learn more . I tried symlinks but go my self into trouble. i will look into this again, i thought that this addon was about to cease according to what i read about It.

I was going to set up a docker folder in appdata , is this correct way to go so that i can install docker containers as and when ?

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Kim0201

Thanks for your reply & examples it is the examples that help newbies like me. i have already setup my ssd drive with Media. config , appdata & general, for the time being until i learn more . I tried symlinks but go my self into trouble. i will look into this again, i thought that this addon was about to cease according to what i read about It.

I was going to set up a docker folder in appdata , is this correct way to go so that i can install docker containers as and when ?

Thanks again.

Even if it did cease (it seems to be a fairly simple plugin and has been around forever, so not sure why it would.. but I'm not a plugin dev..).. setting up symlinks at the command line is very simple. If that didn't come from ryecoaaron I wouldn't read to much into it.

How you set up your docker containers, is strictly up to you.. I try to keep it simple and consistent.... So ALL of my media (movies, tv shows, music, books, etc.) are mapped somewhere under Media... my AppData folder, is where I keep all the "config" directories referenced by some containers...

Code
    ken@openmediavault:~$ cd /NAS
    ken@openmediavault:/NAS$ ls
    AppData  Media
    ken@openmediavault:/NAS$ cd Media
    ken@openmediavault:/NAS/Media$ ls
    Movies  Music  Photos  Random_Videos  TV  Torrents  eBooks
    ken@openmediavault:/NAS/Media$ cd /NAS/AppData
    ken@openmediavault:/NAS/AppData$ ls
    airsonic  calibre  heimdall  nextcloud  nextclouddb  portainer  swag
    ken@openmediavault:/NAS/AppData$ 
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What issue did you run into with symlinks.. just curious?

Edit: Heres how it looks under the symlink plugin, the main thing to keep in mind, is everything that isn't symlinked under /NAS, is directly on the OS drive... so if you start manually creating folders under /NAS... depending on what you are doing you could fill up your OS drive quickly.

So in my example, if I create a directory at the command line level /NAS/Something (without symlinking it)... /Something will be on the OS drive, not the data drives. If you're putting a lot of data in /Something, it could quickly fill up your OS drive. On the other hand if I create a directory at the command line /NAS/Media/Here , the directory Here , will automatically be symlinked, since /Media is a symlinked directory. That's about as clear as I can make it and if you "ran into trouble", I'm guessing that was your issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even if it did cease (it seems to be a fairly simple plugin and has been around forever, so not sure why it would.. but I'm not a plugin dev..).. setting up symlinks at the command line is very simple. If that didn't come from ryecoaaron I wouldn't read to much into it.

The symlink plugin is not going anywhere. It is easy to port to new versions of OMV.

• One thing that could be useful maybe is adding a field inside the filesystem view to give a friendly name just for viewing purposes to a drive or directly to create a symbolic link from this view, maybe in a path decided by omv (mnt or media?). I am using the symlink plugin but is annoying to jump continuously between the filesystem section and the symlink plugin to be sure that you are pointing to the right drive

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using the symlink plugin but is annoying to jump continuously between the filesystem section and the symlink plugin to be sure that you are pointing to the right drive

When do you do this? I guess I don't understand why someone would do this. If you make the symlink very similar to the filesystem label, there shouldn't be any guessing and switching.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't know, maybe is only an issue for me but there are these very lengthy mountpoints that are hard to relate to an hard drive, especially when the names are similar when you are in symlink plugin screen, having a way to have a friendly label for viewing purposes, or be able to create custom symlinks directly from the filesystem would be more practical in my opinion. Or maybe I am missing something?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know, maybe is only an issue for me but there are these very lengthy mountpoints that are hard to relate to an hard drive, especially when the names are similar when you are in symlink plugin screen, having a way to have a friendly label for viewing purposes, or be able to create custom symlinks directly from the filesystem would be more practical in my opinion. Or maybe I am missing something?

I understand the friendly label but when are you using the lengthy mountpoints? They aren't used in the OMV web interface in most cases. Do you not have the label column visible in your filesystem tab?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know, maybe is only an issue for me but there are these very lengthy mountpoints that are hard to relate to an hard drive, especially when the names are similar when you are in symlink plugin screen, having a way to have a friendly label for viewing purposes, or be able to create custom symlinks directly from the filesystem would be more practical in my opinion. Or maybe I am missing something?

The idea of symlinks is simply to make command line access easier (or in the case of docker-compose, volumes are easier to set up) If you've got your symlinks setup, under most circumstances you can do not need the absolute paths anymore.

You can try to set up disk labels, but if your drives have data I don't believe you can do that after the fact (and it doesn't work in all situations anyway). You set up the symlinks, so do you not consider /mnt/nvme-01 friendly enough?

Or maybe I'm not understanding your question.

• The idea of symlinks is simply to make command line access easier (or in the case of docker-compose, volumes are easier to set up) If you've got your symlinks setup, under most circumstances you can do not need the absolute paths anymore.

You can try to set up disk labels, but if your drives have data I don't believe you can do that after the fact (and it doesn't work in all situations anyway). You set up the symlinks, so do you not consider /mnt/nvme-01 friendly enough?

Or maybe I'm not understanding your question.

Yes, I consider my symlinks names friendly, therefore I am suggesting to add an option inside filesytem view to create symlinks directly from this page of the UI and have a column where I see the absolute path and the symlink that I have used, basically the 2 screenshots that I have attached but merged in only one page.

• I understand the friendly label but when are you using the lengthy mountpoints? They aren't used in the OMV web interface in most cases. Do you not have the label column visible in your filesystem tab?

For example when I have created a mergerfs I had to go checking to which drive was related the mountpoint by going inside the /srv folder, but probably I should have used directly the symlinks...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am starting to do the same, I am migrating all the docker-compose files to symlinks

If you set it up properly, it becomes absurdly simple... It's to the point for me I don't even have to look at my volumes anymore when I'm creating containers... since my path are all very consistent, I just know what they are.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!