[howto] Haswell motherboards and OpenMediaVault (Intel NIC)

• Yeah, but the kernel (20+) is for wheezy and not squeeze, therefore they can't be used on squeeze_omv? Right?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure why they couldn't be... It is still the 2.6.32 kernel and doesn't have a different ABI.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Okay. We will try that tomorrow then.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Yeah, but the kernel (20+) is for wheezy and not squeeze, therefore they can't be used on squeeze_omv? Right?

Greetings
    David

The kernel version is not related to userland. Userland uses libraries from userland which is provided by Debian and these libraries is not related to the version of kernel except for the distinction between 32 and 64 bit.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You just have to put wheezy in for the repo. Otherwise, it will only show you up to -19 for squeeze. The -26 kernel seems to work fine on squeeze.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "miras"

The kernel version is not related to userland. Userland uses libraries from userland which is provided by Debian and these libraries is not related to the version of kernel except for the distinction between 32 and 64 bit.

Well, we tested to install a precompiled 3.12 kernel, but that relied on a newer libc6 (IIRC) version. So that can't be 100% true. Did you ever try to install the wheezy backports 3.12 kernel on Squeeze?

But I told my buddy to test the kernel from proxmox wheezy tomorrow. Lets see how that will work.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know the 3.12 can be compiled on Squeeze but the precompiled versions usually have newer dependencies. The 3.12 wheezy backports kernel needs a much newer initramfs which needs a newer klibc and so on.

• The requirement for libc6 is something applied from the packager. Ie. this is something related to Debian. You could fetch latest kernel from kernel.org anytime and build it yourself without problems. Long time ago before wife and kids I always build my own kernels from latest release from kernel.org for Debian Sid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I used (still do) Gentoo for years. Kernel version was never a problem and much easier to upgrade than compiling under Debian :)

• Hehe... never compiled a kernel myself. :(

Greetings
    David

• hmm
    shoud i better try to delete 3.2 kernel ore install 3.12

Ps.: sorry i read alot in this forum and try it, but i`m a german newbee witch try his best

Asrock H87, Intel G3220, 8GB G-Skill, Be-Quiet L8 300w
    ADATA 32GB SSD
    3TB WD-Green 03.2014
    3TB WD-Green 03.2015

• Offizieller Beitrag

You will have better luck compiling the driver than installing 3.12.

• Trying compiling the kernel myself now too:

http://www.tecmint.com/kernel-compilation-in-debian-linux/

PS: You may need to install 'bc' too, otherwise compiling will fail.

Greetings
    David

• Okay. My compiling just stopped, cause I ran out of space. My Buddy will try to compile it himself in the evening on his machine...

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Compiling the kernel is the easy part as long as you use a .config file known to work on your system. Creating the package is the bigger problem.

• According to the guide the kernel and header deb is automaticcaly created.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then I must have been doing too much Gentoo method :)

• Zitat

Once the compilation is finished, and depending on your machine, and number of modules you are compiling, it can take quite a long time, change directories to one back from the Linux source directory, and you should see two new *.deb files – one linux-image file and one linux-headers file:

Greetings
    DAvid

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!