Installation of OMV on top of de-desktoped Raspberry Pi OS ?

• Hello !

I want to install OMV on a Raspberry Pi4. I read in the documentation that only Raspberry pi OS "lite" is supported. For the moment, the Pi4 in question is running Raspberry Pi OS with desktop.

In order to easily keep all my settings (SSH, Samba, smartd...) and avoid reinstalling and resetting everything, I'm wondering if it's OK to disable X server, RDP server, graphical session manager, and all the stuff related to desktop environment, and then, install OMV on top of it, instead of on top of a fresh "lite" install ?

If I do so, should I expect some issues ? Of what kinds ?

Thank you ! :)

• macom

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If I do so, should I expect some issues ? Of what kinds ?

The issue is, that OMV is not aware of the settings you did. For example samba shares will not show up in OMV.

If you want to use OMV, start with a fresh install.

• Oh... OK, thank you :) So it has nothing to do with desktop environment... ?(

Does it mean that I can only run programs and daemons that are manageable through OMV web UI ? I also use my Pi 4 as a CUPS server, and run Synching and Transmission daemons. Will it still be possible on OMV ?

Thanks ! 8)

• Offizieller Beitrag

So it has nothing to do with desktop environment..

There are plenty of bad things having a desktop environment installed causes.

Does it mean that I can only run programs and daemons that are manageable through OMV web UI ?

No. You just don't want to run a program/daemon with settings outside of OMV that is also managed by OMV. OMV has complete control of the configs.

I also use my Pi 4 as a CUPS server, and run Synching and Transmission daemons. Will it still be possible on OMV ?

Since those are not plugins anymore, you are fine to run all of them with OMV. I actually recommend running them in docker and then you will really know that OMV cannot cause issues with the config.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.5

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• spark-plug

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!