SAMBA and disconnected disk

• Good evening,

I have a Raspberry on which I have installed Openmediavault. I connected a hard disk to the Raspberry on which I perform backups in a shared folder with SAMBA. The backup starts automatically at a certain time and it may happen that the hard disk is not connected because I brought it with me. When the hard disk is disconnected, in the File Systems section of Openmediavault it is reported that the disk is not present, but in Windows 10 I still see the shared folder present on the hard disk not connected. When the backup starts at the appointed time, the files are copied anyway, but occupying the available space of the SD memory card because the hard disk is not connected. Is there a way to make SAMBA not show the shared folder in Windows 10 when the hard drive is disconnected? In this way, my backup software (SyncBack Pro) would detect the missing shared folder and the backup would not start (there is a specific setting for this).

Thank you all.

• One thing you could do is place a specific file - even a zero-byte file with a specific name - on your hard disk. Set up Syncback to check for the existence of that file and start the backup only when it's found.

Since the file wouldn't appear in your Samba shared folder if the disk is disconnected (as it's not on the SD card), that would stop Syncback from running the backup.

• One thing you could do is place a specific file - even a zero-byte file with a specific name - on your hard disk. Set up Syncback to check for the existence of that file and start the backup only when it's found.

Since the file wouldn't appear in your Samba shared folder if the disk is disconnected (as it's not on the SD card), that would stop Syncback from running the backup.

Great!. Problem solved. Thank you!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!