OMV6 MergeFS?

• Wait for the OS and its plugins to mature or just configure it by hand in fstab which is what I do.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am working on porting mergerfs but I want to change it a lot for OMV 6.x. I want to combine the two plugins (mergerfsfolders and unionfilesystems) and use systemd mount files instead of fstab. Progress is slow though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• how do? :huh:

i cant code, but i know my way around 'nix if that's of any consolation..

I just wasn't sure if there was an "easy" way i was over looking

The mergerfs documentation is excellent and will tell you what you need to know.

https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs

Here is the one liner in my /etc/fstab as an example. I haven't made any changes to it in several years. And when I add a disk I want to be in this pool all I have to do is put the correct directory structure on the disk, no need to edit the fstab entry. The use of wildcard globbing makes it easy.

Code
    # >>> [sftp-mergerfs]

/srv/dev-disk-by-*/multimedia-content-d* /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1/sftp/outgoing fuse.mergerfs defaults,nofail,fsname=mergerfs-sftp-outgoing,nonempty,allow_other,category.create=lfs,moveonenospc=true,minfreespace=110G,noforget,use_ino,inodecalc=path-hash 0 0

# <<< [sftp-mergerfs]

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• This is awesome thank you for posting. I had mine manually keyed in with UUIDs which was a pain.

How do you get a manually added mergerfs share to show up in the OMV 6 UI? Or do you handle that manually as well? I have a merged folder in /srv but I can't see it to create a shared folder on it within the UI.

• I don't use OMV 6 yet. I didn't have any problem creating a shared folder from the mergerfs mount directory in the OMV 5 UI.

--

• Thanks gderf. Maybe I shouldn't have upgraded to OMV 6, it requires a drive (like /dev/sdc) to create shared folders from.

Your /etc/fstab globbing solution doesn't work for me, either. Not sure what I've done wrong, but if I boot with this enabled my entire filesystem gets mounted as read-only.

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-*/media*   /srv/mergedfs   fuse.mergerfs  defaults,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino,category.create=mfs,minfreespace=10G 0 0

I have the same problem even if I explicitly call out the drives. Explicitly calling the drives works if I use the mergerfs command, but putting anything from mergerfs in my fstab appears to cause problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

t requires a drive (like /dev/sdc) to create shared folders from.

Not if you install the sharerootfs plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-*/media*   /srv/mergedfs   fuse.mergerfs  defaults,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino,category.create=mfs,minfreespace=10G 0 0

In your fstab statement you have several places where you have two or three blank spaces instead of one. I suggest fixing that and trying again.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

In your fstab statement you have several places where you have two or three blank spaces instead of one. I suggest fixing that and trying again.

That shouldn't cause any problems with fstab but I think two wildcards might. I will test the double wildcard.

• In your fstab statement you have several places where you have two or three blank spaces instead of one. I suggest fixing that and trying again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no dice.

Code
    sudo mergerfs -o allow_other,use_ino,direct_io,category.create=mfs,minfreespace=10G,nonempty /srv/dev-disk-by-\*/media\* /srv/mergerfs1

This works, I just need to run it every time the machine boots which is less than optimal. I can probably get it into a systemd service, I've just had bad luck trying to do that in the past. When it comes to these sorts of things, I only really know enough to be dangerous.

The same thing in fstab gives me a folder that lists as "no such file or directory" with ???? for permissions, owner, and group when I ls /srv [using /srv/mergedfs instead of /srv/mergerfs1 intentionally so I can see the difference between the two methods]

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-*/media* /srv/mergedfs fuse.mergerfs defaults,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino,category.create=mfs,minfreespace=10G,nonempty 0 0
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I just tested and the double wildcard works. Here is my line:

/srv/dev-disk-by-*-d* /srv/8d0d73a5-246e-4cf9-91d0-d4808eeeda41 fuse.mergerfs category.create=epmfs,minfreespace=4G,fsname=p1:8d0d73a5-246e-4cf9-91d0-d4808eeeda41,defaults,allow_other,cache.files=off,use_ino 0 0

Are you disks USB?

• Offizieller Beitrag

move category and minfreespace to beginning on the options. I am pretty sure they have to be before "defaults". Otherwise, they are ignored. Or just remove default all together.

• I think I figured out the problem. mount.fuse is not installed (which mount.fuse returns not found) and is a requirement for mounting from fstab. I'm running on the latest OMV ISO.

Unfortunately, from what I read for Debian this is supposed to be included in the fuse package. The fuse package is definitely installed, and I've force reinstalled it as well but no dice.

I was wrong, I do have mount.fuse, it's just in /sbin which isn't included in my user $PATH. Running sudo which mount.fuse returns /sbin/mount.fuse which should work, right?

• move category and minfreespace to beginning on the options. I am pretty sure they have to be before "defaults". Otherwise, they are ignored. Or just remove default all together.

I solved it! Thank you and gderf for all your help.

I noticed that if I ran mount -a after booting that the mount would work, so the problem wasn't the entry in /etc/fstab as I had believed.

The problem was the order of operations in systemd. By adding x-systemd.requires-mounts-for= for each of the drives to be merged together, the mount finally works! My working fstab entry is below

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-*/media* /srv/mergedfs fuse.mergerfs category.create=mfs,minfreespace=10G,defaults,nonempty,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino,x-systemd.requires-mounts-for=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-7e3d4e5e-228e-47cd-ac2c-77e7f9c1f64e,x-systemd.requires-mounts-for=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-2d0face8-47a8-492a-a2fb-f50bcd2826c5,x-systemd.requires-mounts-for=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-02c39460-394e-4bec-aecd-33fade3843cf,x-systemd.requires-mounts-for=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-dc17cfe1-1df5-4a88-941a-7f90bfd1b071 0 0
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin does have that option but I am hoping to move to systemd mount files for the OMV 6 version of the plugin to solve issues like this.

• I would try one more time without the x-systemd.requires-mounts-for= options. That is so ugly and renders the wildcard globbing pointless.

--

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (alpha) hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!