Installing OMV on VM

• Hello! I'm relatively a beginner and I'm new to the forum.
    I am trying to install OMV 5.5.11 on VM but I always end up finding problems.

My problems occurs during the installation phase when the system tries to get the IP from the network, at this point the installation freezes up in a blue screen.
    I have attached the screenshot of the screen presented to me.

My configuration is based on Proxmox 7 updated to the latest version and the other components are updated too (it's a fresh install).

However my setting of the virtual machine are the following (purely dafult):

machine type: i440fx
    bios type: seaBIOS
    type of network card: VirtIO

Then I also tried to see if the situation change on Oracle Virtual Box but I get the same error, as written above, after setting the language and the localisation, the installation blocks while obtaining the IP from the network.

I have installed OMV many times in bare metal systems without any problems, and also I haven't found any information about this problem on the internet.

I hope I was clear enough in the description of the problem.

I apologize for my English (not my main language:))

Thanks in advance for the help
    Greetings

Wally

• Offizieller Beitrag

Been using proxmox since version 3 through 6. Have not upgraded to 7 yet. Mostly because it is based on debian 11 that is not final yet. OMV runs and installed on all without problems.

You might try using "Intel e100" for the nic. Or disabling it.

Can you try installing debian 10 and then install OMV on that?

Good luck

• First of all, thank you for having replied to me in such a short time.

I tried to follow your suggestions and now I will show you the (few) results that I have obtained:

I think, the problem is IPv6, when the installer trying to get the IPv6, you should tap the esc key.

Try it, maybe it help.

I remember that I have tried this time ago and it didn't work, also because my network doesn't have IPv6 but only IPv4.

However I did a further test to be sure,

The result was the same, always stuck on the same blue screen:cursing:.

So you say that could be the wrong Proxmox version? But I can't understand why it doesn't work even on VirtualBox:(.

Anyway I tried using the Intel e1000 NIC, but no, it doesn't work

Another thing I did as you suggested was to disable the network card during installation and then when prompted to install the specific driver for this network card (e1000) and then connect the card.

But unfortunately it doesn't work in any way.

I had managed to successfully install OMV on top of Debian 10.10.0 following the official documentation but then I started having problems with managing users.

I can't access the shares with any type of user, which is why I would like to install from the iso.

However, I thank you again for the help you have given to me.

Greetings

Wally

• Zitat

because my network doesn't have IPv6 but only IPv4.

Exacly. I remeber, when I install OMV4, when the installer try to get the IPv6, I get a blue screen, so when the installer just show, that he wan't to get IPv6 i press the ESC key, to cancel this procedure, then ewerything was ok.

Try it.

• I did it!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with solving this problem.

The answer was as you said lexmark3200.

Now I would like to do a little analysis of what my problem was:

The cause of this problem is precisely in the automatic network configuration (as you showed me lexmark3200) skipping the automatic IPv6 configuration sometimes could solve the problem.

But this was not my case. So after various tests I tried to cancel all the automatic network acquisition procedures,

which are the following ones:

- Detecting link activity

- Detecting local address

- Configuring DHCPv6

Basically pressing "cancel" three times:D.

In this way I switched to manual network configuration.

Once the IP (static) no longer governed by DHCP was configured, I continued with the installation which ended successfully!

Finally the cause that I believe may have generated this problem:

Now, I'm not very experienced, and I don't want to offend anyone's work, but I think there may be a bug regarding some driver or, the installer may have some problems using virtual interfaces.

I don't know.

I was probably not the only one who had this problem so I hope this post could have been useful to these people as well.

Thank you all

Bye

Wally

• Offizieller Beitrag

Glad you got it working before I finished. I think all you needed to do was hit continue as below.

I installed proxmox 7 as a vm. Installed OMV 5.5.11 iso and all went fine with working network. Installing now with network disconnected.

Network auto config failed.

continue

configure network manually

continue

fill as needed ip4 only.

You could enable the nic now to get past repo selection errors? Goes on to finish install.

Did you verify the checksum of the iso?

• Not only with Virtual interfaces, I've installed OMV on HP 800 g1 ( that is my OMV server) and the problem with blue screen was too.

Really? I have never had any problems with installing OMV on physical hardware.

And in general I have always felt very comfortable with OMV.

Very nice that machine, I really like the HP 800 series.

I was considering getting a machine like that too, but in the end, as my needs have changed I think I'll go with the Dell R220, but I'm still thinking about it ...

Anyway OT aside, now that I know the problem ,I know how to solve it.

Glad you got it working before I finished. I think all you needed to do was hit continue as below.

Yes, in the end it was a question of skipping the procedure.

But I never had to deal with such behavior and I found myself a bit in trouble.

And in any case at this moment if I want to statically assign an IP through DHCP I couldn't, because the configuration would not allow it, but I haven't had a chance to check yet.

For now the server is set to static IP and that's okay with me^^.

ok this is a little weird,

basically you are telling me that in your virtual machine test OMV was installed without problems at the first time?

While installing without a network obviously OMV gave you an error but it was possible to install anyway via static ip, the same procedure I arrived at by compulsively skipping the automatic network discovery procedures. Right?

Did you verify the checksum of the iso?

Yes, I checked the ISO checkum and in addition I tried to download 5.5.11 several times, then I tried 6.0.16.

I even tried the 4.X version which ironically was the only one that worked out of the box. lol ^^^^

Bye

Wally

• Offizieller Beitrag

Answered inline to the quote.

• Hi!

Now i will reply in the order you answered me donh ,

Thanks again everyone for your time,

I will have to try better, however as long as it has an ip that does not change it's ok.

For the fact of the DHCP perhaps I expressed myself a little badly,

I meant that I have want to assign an ip via DHCP (linked to the MAC of the network card) and for lease time a time that tends to infinity in this way the server always receives the same IP but it never changes.

Unless I want to change it which I can do from the router by changing the DHCP settings (for that specific MAC).

yes maybe there is some problem in my network even if I don't think so.

It's basically a setup like yours.

yes I think it is the only alternative to install OMV in VM at the moment, maybe in the future when version 6 becomes stable the process will be without this problem

no problem, the only thing I can't understand is why version 4 work without a problem, and the others are not working

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!