How to properly delete a shared folder/user and its properties?

• Hi, I'm new here, last week we installed a server in our company, and we decided to use OMV
    because it looks like it covers all our needs, here is where I get confused, when I created a shared folder I've made some mistakes testing, first I thought it was ok, just delete the old folder and start again right? Wrong! If you recreate a shared folder with the same name it comes back with the same privileges as before deleting... Same problem with users, At first I created users, and groups and testing I found that User permissions overlap Group permissions, then I've tried to remove the selections I made in the user and looks like you cannot remove, you can only choose between three options available..
    So the question is, can I delete a shared folder/user with its permissions so if I create one with the same name again it will come new all options blank?

• I don't have the time to test it now but if the GUI doesn't help you I think this should help:

https://de.godaddy.com/help/ei…x-nutzer-hinzufugen-19158

And if you delete your shared folder using ssh I'm, pretty sure it is gone for always :)

Edit: I usually have a 2nd OMV installed in VirtualBox to play around and test things before installing it on my "real" OMV.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• The wiki of ubuntu is always a good source for such questions. Have a look here

https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/mount/

https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/fstab/

It's in German and I think that you understand German.

You have to work from top to bottom in the menu when setting up, so first the user, then groups, then shared folders, then the (samba) share itself. If you want to resolve something, you have to work from the bottom up. You cannot delete a user if it is still referenced by shared folders or even a (Samba) share.

A wonderful tool to explore the structures in the terminal more easily is the Midnight Commander

Easy to install with

Code
    sudo apt-get install mc

to start with mc

Reminds a bit of the Norton Commander.

• The wiki of ubuntu is always a good source for such questions. Have a look here

https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/mount/

https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/fstab/

It's in German and I think that you understand German.

You have to work from top to bottom in the menu when setting up, so first the user, then groups, then shared folders, then the (samba) share itself. If you want to resolve something, you have to work from the bottom up. You cannot delete a user if it is still referenced by shared folders or even a (Samba) share.

Both are a pretty good advice!

But you made me curious - I will see if I can reproduce your behavior/problems in my test system.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Alright, I did some testing - what I did:

I created two users Alpha and Bravo and two samba shares Alpha and Bravo and gave read/write permissions on their according share.

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-2d24bf52-a7ab-45e0-9311-7f95e9fb3aed/Alpha
    /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-2d24bf52-a7ab-45e0-9311-7f95e9fb3aed/Bravo

List users:

Code
    cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd

(found on https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-list-users-in-linux/)

A list of a lot of users will appear and I could access the samba shares using Manjaro's file manager (using the according credentials).

Afterwards I deleted the shares (removing their samba share first, then the shares themselves as B3rnd said) and the users (-> no more users and shares were found in terminal as described before).

I rebooted OMV (you never know...) and recreated everything (users and shares) and neither Alpha nor Bravo have now the permissions they had before (see the screenshot).

Everything was done in OMV's GUI, the terminal was only used to check things.

I don't know if I recreated your setting correctly - if not let me know.

As mentioned before I was curious myself so I wanted to try it out.

Edit:

Sorry, I forgot to watch your video (YT is blocked at work) but now I did. I don't understand Portuguese (I guess) but I noticed you didn't delete the shares (don't know if this is important). Moreover you are obviously using OMV6. Since this is still alpha I don't know if this is the problem. If I have time I will try to test it on a OMV6 machine.

• I agree with you, this is probably because we are using the alpha version, I've downloaded the stable version on my virtual machine and it is allowed to uncheck the box in the privileges menu, but in OMV6 you cant go back to no selection once you chose one and apply.

It sucks because we bought the machine in a local store and they installed the system for us, do you think we should ask them to install the stable version instead?

• Well, difficult to give you advice without having more details on what you ordered and what you need it for.

They definitely should if they are the pro's, you wanted a machine for using it without ado and it was their idea to use OMV6 which is as far as I know in alpha status.

On the other hand installing a basic system+services (for my needs [a family NAS] it doesn't take longer then 20-30min) is propably a lot(!) fasterthen going back and argueing with them. I furthermore have the impression that you're going to be responsible for administrating the machine so you should get familiar with OMV anyway. There are a million helpful people and tutorials out there telling you how to set up a running system.

So my advice here: Go for yourself, learn some new things but don't forget to ask them for a reasonable discount for the trouble they caused ;)

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• OMV 6 ist Alpha, nicht einmal Beta.

Für ein produktives System, dann auch noch in einer Firma, wo man auf die Funktionen angewiesen ist, ist das ein No-Go.

What I said.
    But I think he is Portuguese and doesn't speak German ;)

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

A good resource for familiarizing yourself with OMV 5 can be found at https://openmediavault.readthe…r_guide/newuserguide.html

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi, I'm new here, last week we installed a server in our company, and we decided to use OMV
    because it looks like it covers all our needs, here is where I get confused, when I created a shared folder I've made some mistakes testing, first I thought it was ok, just delete the old folder and start again right? Wrong! If you recreate a shared folder with the same name it comes back with the same privileges as before deleting... Same problem with users, At first I created users, and groups and testing I found that User permissions overlap Group permissions, then I've tried to remove the selections I made in the user and looks like you cannot remove, you can only choose between three options available..
    So the question is, can I delete a shared folder/user with its permissions so if I create one with the same name again it will come new all options blank?

Deleting the user in the CLI doesn't remove the privileges stored in the OMV database. Because of that the reappear if you create a new user with the same name.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!