Docker vs "raw" install

• I used the MySQL plugin on OMV4 and note that it's not being ported to OMV5, the recommendation being to use Docker. I don't have a problem with that - I'm using Docker for some of my own Python applications and it encapsulates their dependencies nicely. I'm less clear about the benefits of Docker for something like MySQL though. Is there any particular reason why I shouldn't just install it (or rather MariaDB) directly using apt?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any particular reason why I shouldn't just install it (or rather MariaDB) directly using apt?

mysql/mariadb has a low number of dependencies and wouldn't conflict with anything on an OMV system. So, if you know how to install natively, go for it. If you install something like phpmyadmin, I would install that in docker though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there something about Borg that makes it better suited to a plugin than Docker?

Not really. It might be a little easier to config and run in the plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OK, thanks. I don't use Borg at the moment, I use BackupPC installed "raw" on OMV4. I've now got it running in a Docker ready for the switch to OMV5 but perhaps I'll take a look at Borg as a possible alternative, ISTR reading a number of positive comments about it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!