First Raspberry Pi NAS with professiorial USB STICK

• Hello,

just started my first NAS with OpenMediaVault. As a test i tried it with my 64 GB USB stick from SanDisk.

Made basic setups and tried to start copy things from raspberry to my laptop.

With small files it goes around 1.5MB/s. If I start to copy big files it takes for ever to find the data and then to copy it.

Is this because the USB 2.0 ? or the USB Stick ? Tried it with an ssd and had the same problem.

I copy it over WLAN. The RaspberryPie is attached to my router through LAN.

Any advice?

just a quick video for data logging purpose. So if you see anything that makes it obvious why its running that slow would be very appreciated ;)

• You didn't say anything about your Raspi. Is it a Raspi 3 or a Raspi 4?

Both have Giga-Gyte interfaces, but the one on the Raspi 3 is USB 2 powered and is therefore a crutch. The Raspi 4 reaches up to 100 MByte/sec on my network.

My experience has actually shown me that the WLAN is often responsible for slow speeds, with the wrong LAN cable coming in second.

• You didn't say anything about your Raspi. Is it a Raspi 3 or a Raspi 4?

Both have Giga-Gyte interfaces, but the one on the Raspi 3 is USB 2 powered and is therefore a crutch. The Raspi 4 reaches up to 100 MByte/sec on my network.

My experience has actually shown me that the WLAN is often responsible for slow speeds, with the wrong LAN cable coming in second.

Its a raspi 3 with usb 2.0

Do you achieve the 100MB over WLAN or directly connected to it ?

• LAN

There are a lot of differences between a Raspi 3 and a Raspi 4. A very important difference is the LAN speed. With the Raspi 3 everything is routed via the USB port, with the Raspi4 the LAN port is independent of USB. Therefore, it is significantly faster there.

WLAN is a very clear brake, which also depends on how the WLAN coverage is in the house or flat. Furthermore, I see that my router, a FritzBox 7490, is a brake, everything that is routed through it is slower.

• @xMoses

If you want to upgrade your hardware look beyond the Raspi.

I use devices from Hardkernel (ODROID).

Advantages:

- reliable power supply (worst aspect with all the Raspis)

- SATA built in (the latest models native)

- faster

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!