Help with OMV on ESXi please?

• Hello. I could sure use some help installing OMV on ESXi 6.5. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I have not used VMware in probably over 10 years. I have a Dell PowerEdge R720ux server with 32GB RAM, 12 3TB drives and dual MicroSD cards (64BG, mirrored) and my goal is to use this as a company backup file storage server with complete data protection. Using the hardware raid controller, I have 2 drives mirrored for the OS, I have 8 drives set up as RAID6 and finally the last 2 drives as hot swappable.

So my question to all of you is this, I have not found any good or recent videos on how to install OMV on ESXi 6.5 and I could use a little bit of guidance here please. There seems to be a lot of debate whether the actual storage drives should be set up as vfms or as pass-thru drives. So I could really use some assistance from any of you with expertise in this area on how best to set up this OMV on ESXi given the description I have above.

So team, what would be an optimal configuration for my OVM (in your opinion)?

• How many CPU cores? (2?)
    • How much RAM (8gb? 12gb?)

Anything that can help this VMWare non-guru along would be extremely helpful!

(thanks in advance)

• Hi,

I have HP ML350P Gen8 with ESXI. On this server I have over 20 VM, one of them is OMV. For OMV i allocated 2 vCPU and 2GB RAM and one 10G LAN. Storage is configured as vmfs. It works very well from many years. I started with esxi 6.0 and omv 2 or 3 (I don't remember), now is 7.0 U3, and OMV 5.6.16.

• marcusp, thanks so much! So I went way overboard on resources (8gb RAM, 300GB drive) but still trying to get everything loaded and working. I was not able to find hardly any web resources for OMV on ESXi - so it has taken me over a week just to get the VM started. Any chance you might be available privately in case I have any other setup issues?

• It isn't a problem, I can help you if you'll need. In addition to my configuration, I ran some for my customers as a virtual machine on ESXI - several Dell, HP servers. Everything works without problems all the time.

• I was not able to find hardly any web resources for OMV on ESXi - so it has taken me over a week just to get the VM started. Any chance you might be available privately in case I have any other setup issues?

how would private support help to overcome the lack of web resources for OMV on ESXi ?

OMV is an application created by volunteers for free, it would be great If the savings from using it (at least partially) would result in a sponsor grant to fund further development

omv 6.0.40-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 5.15.61-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 5.6.21-1 (usul) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• how would private support help to overcome the lack of web resources for OMV on ESXi ?

OMV is an application created by volunteers for free, it would be great If the savings from using it (at least partially) would result in a sponsor grant to fund further development

Private support would help me with getting this OMV install up and running properly on ESXi. For example, I got everything loaded and running, all the way up to the point of adding storage for OMV to use - yet I can't find it! As a noobie to ESXi, this is challenging for me. So private support would help me get going, and may or may not be relevant to everyone else on here.

• It isn't a problem, I can help you if you'll need. In addition to my configuration, I ran some for my customers as a virtual machine on ESXI - several Dell, HP servers. Everything works without problems all the time.

marcusp I am afraid I will need some additional help. How best to contact you?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!