Help with OMV on ESXi please?

• Hello. I could sure use some help installing OMV on ESXi 6.5. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I have not used VMware in probably over 10 years. I have a Dell PowerEdge R720ux server with 32GB RAM, 12 3TB drives and dual MicroSD cards (64BG, mirrored) and my goal is to use this as a company backup file storage server with complete data protection. Using the hardware raid controller, I have 2 drives mirrored for the OS, I have 8 drives set up as RAID6 and finally the last 2 drives as hot swappable.

So my question to all of you is this, I have not found any good or recent videos on how to install OMV on ESXi 6.5 and I could use a little bit of guidance here please. There seems to be a lot of debate whether the actual storage drives should be set up as vfms or as pass-thru drives. So I could really use some assistance from any of you with expertise in this area on how best to set up this OMV on ESXi given the description I have above.

So team, what would be an optimal configuration for my OVM (in your opinion)?

• How many CPU cores? (2?)
    • How much RAM (8gb? 12gb?)

Anything that can help this VMWare non-guru along would be extremely helpful!

(thanks in advance)

• Hi,

I have HP ML350P Gen8 with ESXI. On this server I have over 20 VM, one of them is OMV. For OMV i allocated 2 vCPU and 2GB RAM and one 10G LAN. Storage is configured as vmfs. It works very well from many years. I started with esxi 6.0 and omv 2 or 3 (I don't remember), now is 7.0 U3, and OMV 5.6.16.

• marcusp, thanks so much! So I went way overboard on resources (8gb RAM, 300GB drive) but still trying to get everything loaded and working. I was not able to find hardly any web resources for OMV on ESXi - so it has taken me over a week just to get the VM started. Any chance you might be available privately in case I have any other setup issues?

• It isn't a problem, I can help you if you'll need. In addition to my configuration, I ran some for my customers as a virtual machine on ESXI - several Dell, HP servers. Everything works without problems all the time.

• I was not able to find hardly any web resources for OMV on ESXi - so it has taken me over a week just to get the VM started. Any chance you might be available privately in case I have any other setup issues?

how would private support help to overcome the lack of web resources for OMV on ESXi ?

OMV is an application created by volunteers for free, it would be great If the savings from using it (at least partially) would result in a sponsor grant to fund further development

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• how would private support help to overcome the lack of web resources for OMV on ESXi ?

OMV is an application created by volunteers for free, it would be great If the savings from using it (at least partially) would result in a sponsor grant to fund further development

Private support would help me with getting this OMV install up and running properly on ESXi. For example, I got everything loaded and running, all the way up to the point of adding storage for OMV to use - yet I can't find it! As a noobie to ESXi, this is challenging for me. So private support would help me get going, and may or may not be relevant to everyone else on here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!