Disappearing Drive Troubleshooting help

• This problem is most probably not an OMV issue. But since there are so many knowledgeable people here, I'm looking for a little help....

I have a HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013w system that I am running OMV 6 on. OMV has been working beautifully!

In the slimline optical drive bay, I have installed instead a 2.5" drive caddy that allows me to put a 2.5 HDD or SSD in there to expand the storage options.

Two weeks ago, this drive "disappeared " and stopped showing up in OMV. I could figure out the problem, and after some troubleshooting, I ended up doing a reinstall thinking maybe I had messed something up.

Everything has been fine since, until yesterday morning when the drive disappeared again.

Things I have tried so far:

1. Running Diagnostic tests on the drive --drive passes quick and extended tests.

2. Using another drive caddy --same results

3. Connecting the drive via a USB enclosure---drive shows up via a usb live linux that I used for troubleshooting (in gparted). But still does not show up in OMV via this method.

3. In CLI on OVM install the drive does not show up when I list drives (this is while it's connected to the internal SATA)

I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue with this particular SATA connector.

Any pointers in what I should try next to try to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems silly but sometimes changing the sata cable fixes problems like this ...

Perhaps providing more information, such as the make and model of the disc, will help someone to tell you more.

• It seems silly but sometimes changing the sata cable fixes problems like this ...

Perhaps providing more information, such as the make and model of the disc, will help someone to tell you more.

Yes, that sounds like the next obvious thing to try. I have tons of standard SATA cables lying around, but this one is a smaller connector that was for the slim optical drive. SATA slim I think it's called. Don't think I have any of those around so I might have to order one to test it. Thanks for the suggestion!

• I've seen a couple posts around about disappearing drives in OMV. I wanted to post an update for the benefit of future google searches etc., to make it clear that my issue ended up being as a result of a defective SATA connector on the motherboard, and had absolutely nothing to do with OMV--which has been nothing but rock solid! I did end up wasting tons of time because of the problem, and trying to troubleshoot, it. Even did a few reinstalls a few weeks ago, when the problem first popped up...but this was never an OMV issue at all.

This forum/community is great and very helpful, btw. I've been playing around, testing, reading about some of the other options out there. And this community, and the willingness of members to help--just "feels different" to some of the other online spaces. It's kind of hard to nail it down exactly. But whatever it is...it's very refreshing and appreciated!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!