Connectivity issues with Windows 2016 server connecting to OMV on ESXi

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, the user cannot belong to the domain admin group, but this is going back 4 years, I had a user name to log on to the server with admin rights on the server, I could add a user, I could set up software deployment etc. But if there was any need to do anything related to AD then I had to log on as the domain admin.

The default login for a Windows server is admin and this is usually the domain admin, there was another user some time ago with a similar issue he overcome the problem by adding ntlm auth = yes to extra options in SMC/CIFS on the OMV server. This is like enabling SMB1

• Yes, the user cannot belong to the domain admin group, but this is going back 4 years, I had a user name to log on to the server with admin rights on the server, I could add a user, I could set up software deployment etc. But if there was any need to do anything related to AD then I had to log on as the domain admin.

The default login for a Windows server is admin and this is usually the domain admin, there was another user some time ago with a similar issue he overcome the problem by adding ntlm auth = yes to extra options in SMC/CIFS on the OMV server. This is like enabling SMB1

Enabling SMB1 which is very insecure?. Fortunately the server I want to transfer files from is a stand-alone and not in the domain., so the similar user might work? I have to start over now with OMV5 setup

• It should yes as mine was a DC, but why do you need to run a Windows server

II have an existing Windows Server who's database backups I want backed up and stored to the OMV5 server securely. Neither the OMV5 server or the Win2016 server are on the domain. I just have a big PowerEdge r720 server with 32tb storage space for my company backups, and in using ESXi, I can eventually run other apps on it if I needed to?

• Offizieller Beitrag

II have an existing Windows Server who's database backups I want backed up and stored to the OMV5 server securely

That should be straightforward, I was running a Hyper-V with 4 Windows VM's, when I utilised the old server to use OMV it was as back up server, backing up each of the VM's, but I never had ESXI in the way.

So your Windows server is a standalone and OMV is on ESXI

• That should be straightforward, I was running a Hyper-V with 4 Windows VM's, when I utilised the old server to use OMV it was as back up server, backing up each of the VM's, but I never had ESXI in the way.

So your Windows server is a standalone and OMV is on ESXI

Yes that is correct. My technician at this company tried installing OMV5 on Hyper-V and not sure what he did, but he lost everything we initially transferred over to the OMV server. All data was unrecoverable. My research showed that Hyper-V and OMV5 didn't play nicely, that too many features were missing in the Hyper-V (vs ESXi), so I decided to have a go at it myself using ESXi. It has been a frustrating journey thus far to say the least.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My research showed that Hyper-V and OMV5 didn't play nicely

:huh: I've tested an install of OMV on a W10 desktop that allows you to deploy Hyper-V and it just worked, in fact I compared that to to running VirtualBox. Hyper-V was a bit odd in setting up the network (I had to google that) but it worked.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have been running OMV on Proxmox for years on a DEll R715. Works like a charm on OMV versions 3,4 and 5 to a 2012r2 vm. Even setup on a windows active directory. DNS is a killer if not set up correctly. Try connecting to the share with powershell.

I am having a hard time getting OMV 6 working though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!