SSD goes offline - OVM 5

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Is the disk connected directly to the raspberry ?. This problem in raspberry could be caused by an incorrect power supply of the hard disk, it is advisable to have a separate power supply for the disk. Although in this case it is an SSD disk, it does not seem that this could be the problem.

What disk model is it? How is it formatted? How many discs are there? First you talk about a 1TB SSD drive and then you say the drives are disconnected.

• chente

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • If it's a portable drive, almost certain, it's the drive that goes on Sleep/Standby and Debian isn't able to wake it up.

Even though I only have a Portable Toshiba 4TiB HDD, it acts the same way (either Debian as Windows).

Only way to wake it up, is to reboot.

Don't know if there's any "Keep Alive" function on SSDs but you can maybe schedule a task to every hour, to do something on the drive to keep it awake.

sudo touch /srv/dev-disk-by-............/awake.txt

Or maybe macom has a different thought, ;)

• Is the disk connected directly to the raspberry ?. This problem in raspberry could be caused by an incorrect power supply of the hard disk, it is advisable to have a separate power supply for the disk. Although in this case it is an SSD disk, it does not seem that this could be the problem.

What disk model is it? How is it formatted? How many discs are there? First you talk about a 1TB SSD drive and then you say the drives are disconnected.

just 1 1TB gigabyte SSD, connected thru a sata to usb 3 convertor (which has red and blue indicators). Formatted to ZFS

• if so many people should experience the same issue right?

• Depends.

Not ALL people have a NAS with a portable drive.

Usually, what is attached is some kind of USB box with NAS quality drives (HDD ) and external power.

A portable disk implies that is meant to be portable and plugged in for a certain amount of time (to make a backup, copy some files/folders, watch a movie, for e.g.) and then switched off.

If you want 24/7 durability and to be reliable, you go for the good-stuff (and yes, it's more expensive).

But, take this opinion with a pinch of salt.

[EDIT]

If you still want to check some other probabilities, run:

dmesg | grep -i voltage to see if it is getting low voltage issues

If nothing shows then, voltage is OK

• Offizieller Beitrag

just 1 1TB gigabyte SSD, connected thru a sata to usb 3 convertor (which has red and blue indicators). Formatted to ZFS

The problem with external USB drives is the same as always. Manufacturers are concerned that their products are fully compatible with Windows, generally also with macOS and rarely with Linux.

In the case of USB hard drives there is a firmware between the host and the disk that is in the box, in your case it is the USB to SATA adapter. This firmware is designed by the manufacturer, and here I am referring to my previous paragraph.

Conclusion. In many cases, neither sdparm nor any Linux tool will make this box (not the disk) 100% compatible with Linux.

That is not to say that the disk cannot be read and written in Linux. It just means that some functions will not be able to be controlled from Linux, and if the box decides to put the disk to sleep, the disk will go to sleep, for example. There will be other cases in which the manufacturer does not leave the option to handle this from Windows either. This could be the case with Soma . Actually starting and stopping a disk is more damaging than keeping it spinning 24/7. Keeping a disc spinning consumes more power but lengthens the life of the disc. If the record ends up living fewer years, it is gratifying for the manufacturer, who will end up selling another record in a shorter period of time.

Solution 1. Try sdparm, it probably won't work, but you won't lose anything trying.

sdparm --clear=STANDBY /dev/sdx -S

where x is the letter corresponding to your drive.

Solution 2. Create a scheduled job on disk before it goes to sleep. Perhaps a short SMART test will accomplish this. If not, you will have to find another solution, for example run a script. There are examples on the Internet, you can do a search and you will find some.

Solution 3. Take the disk out of its original box and look for a 100% Linux compatible adapter or box, case of Soma. In your case, this is equivalent to changing the USB to SATA adapter. This should allow you to configure the parameters directly from the OMV GUI. Box makers only sell the box, not the disc. So they care more about Linux compatibility. Although it seems that it is not the case of your adapter. What model is it?

Tip. When buying an external USB drive, USB to SATA adapter, or any other hardware to use on Linux, read its documentation first and make sure it is 100% Linux compatible. Most of the time they are only compatible with Windows and macOS. Linux is not mentioned.

This is the first time I have seen a ZFS formatted USB disk. What is the purpose of this? I can only think of using snapshots.

I would also check the power adapter. I'd be surprised if it was, for an SSD drive. Generally its consumption is low. But it could be. It is another complication added to the raspberrys that must be taken into account in their configuration.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd say it hasn't worked. Other things could be tried but you run the risk of breaking the hard drive. Not worth it.

I would move on to solutions 2 and 3.

• Thanks for the help Soma . What i mean by other people is that , the people who runs off usb connected portable drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!