OMV 6 (or better RaspiOS) not responding

• Hi,

i'm facing a strange problem with OMV6 and RaspiOS Bullseye (never encountered with same configuration with OMV5 + Buster).

Sometimes, tipically every 1 or 2 days, the system seems to hang, tipically in the morning.

I checked if scheduled jobs are involved, it seems not.

I checked messages and it seems there are no errors.

Maybe could be an hardware fault: really no idea on how to deep dive on this :(

I'm a bit lost, any help?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It occurs to me that it could be some scheduled work that causes it. Do you have any?

Or maybe disk drive power problems, generally common in raspberry, although this would not explain the periodicity of the failures.

• Yes, i have scheduled work but tipically from 6 AM to 8 AM, some work at 13 AM (one day per week).

Reboot is performed everyday at 5AM.

The point is that it's happening in the morning.

Right now i'm disabling clamav because it's something that worked in background sometimes to see what happens.

The point is that i don't know where to search, maybe in other logs, the answer to what's happening :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess the syslog should reveal something. You'll have to rummage.

• Watching a little bit more on syslog it seems no particular event between the 2 boot sequences.

One thing i noticed, is that when this "freeze" happens, if i try to connect via SSH i'm not able to connect, but i do not receive a error... sounds really strange.

Any other logs i can watch in your opinion?

Thank you for the support by the way

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I can't think of anything else. You will have to wait for someone else to read this thread.

• Any particular reason to do a reboot at 5AM? Have you tried disabling the reboot and see what happens?

Same goes for the scheduled jobs (if they run daily). Same as above, disable them and see the results.

And you're running RaspiOS Lite or Desktop?

What do you have attached to the Pi? How is it powered?

The short preview of the syslog doesn't tell much other then the boot was normally fast

Startup finished in 2.492s (kernel) + 1min 47.851s (userspace) = 1min 50.344s.

You can either attach the full syslog or, if you have an idea of the exact time of the freeze, post the output of:

cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i "Nov 24 07:10:00" Edit the day and time of this command to match the freeze.

As for other possible command:

dmesg | grep -i voltage

• Hi Soma

rebooting just to restart machine everyday after first occurrence of the problem: will disable it and see (last summer i was abroad for months and never rebooted)

The only other daily job is duplicati: runs under docker at 7:00 AM do you think i should disable also this?

I'm running RaspiOS Desktop on Rpi4.

Planning to use only RaspiOS Lite since i'm not using VNC or other anymore.

Pi is attached to router with ethernet cable with static IP assigned from the router. Fun fact: when it hangs and i try to connect via SSH i do not receive "Network Error"

Error was some minutes before rebooting manually at 11:16 but i don't see anything from 10:18 to 11:16
    Attached the log from the first reboot at 5.00 AM till now

dmesg | grep -i voltage run and reported nothing, empty string.

Looking for other evidences in order to reproduce the issue :(

• I'm running RaspiOS Desktop on Rpi4.

Planning to use only RaspiOS Lite since i'm not using VNC or other anymore.

Sorry, but OMV is (don't want to say "should be") intended to be ran with a Lite OS.

RaspiOS Desktop will have conflicts with OMV ("fighting to take control of different files/services).

Also, I see a gap on the syslog from when it rebooted (5AM) until it started (10:17AM)

Code
    Nov 24 05:00:02 LittleBox systemd[1]: Unmounting RPC Pipe File System...
    Nov 24 05:00:02 LittleBox systemd[1]: Stopping chrony, an NTP client/server...
    Nov 24 10:17:30 LittleBox systemd-modules-load[146]: Failed to find module 'lp'
    Nov 24 10:17:30 LittleBox blkmapd[158]: open pipe file /run/rpc_pipefs/nfs/blocklayout failed: No such file or directory

Did it rebooted or halted?

On the log, there's some mention to errors on the /boot partition but fsck took care of them so, really don't see any possible issue other then, perhaps you SD card is becoming corrupted and dying.

Can you make a clone and use a new one (same or bigger size)?

Also, how is the power on your area? Is it possible that there were power failures?

Disregard the above comment if you're using a UPS (although I haven't seen a nut service on the syslog)

Or, just take the plunge and start fresh with a RaspiOS Lite arm64 and be done with the Desktop.

If you decide to move, make sure that all that you need is already/still available (plugins/services, etc..)

The only other daily job is duplicati: runs under docker at 7:00 AM do you think i should disable also this?

You can try to change the hour (11PM for eg.) to see if the "Freeze" follows it, for triage.

• Hi,

SD card is new but buying a new one is no issue, i will go for a SanDisk class 10 and to a fresh install on friday night.

No problem with power, i would exclude that. Moreover external HDD seems ok, according to SMART.

No challenge in using Lite OS, i can for sure "re-do" everything, i've done some bash scripting to make it faster.

Only point is that with OMV5 never had issue with that but nevermind, a requirement is a requirement, it's better to have less variables :)

I will repost as soon i've reinstalled everything, will try to re-enable scheduled jobs, one by one every 3/4 days and let's see what happens

UPDATE 26/11/2021

Tonight i will work, as said, on reinstalling everything based on Lite, in order to have a clean setup with correct requirements.

Don't see any problem since 3 days, seems i disabled clamav, seems interesting.

As soon as i reinstall everything, i will enable clamav as last.

UPDATE 29/11/2021

Everything reinstalled with Lite version on 27/11: actually clamav is the only service/scheduled activity not enabled, i will try next monday to enable it.

Actually 2 days working without any issue.

UPDATE 03/12/2021

No issue from new install, today i'm re-enabling clamav as the last scheduled task, let's see what happens

UPDATE 06/12/2021

No issue from clamav re-enabling even if it stopped working (for this i will open a new thread), so i guess the problem was essentially wrong RaspiOS version

• varro986

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!