Syncthing container won't connect to relays

• Offizieller Beitrag

The guide setup should work fine in your home without CGNAT.

- What is the YML file or the container stack now, can you post it here? Skip sensitive data.

- Where has this message been recorded "The requested address cannot be assigned? In the portainer? In the syncthing record? It publishes the complete message.

- Is the OMV firewall GUI interface empty? If not, post it. Did you configure something in the CLI in iptables?

• The YML file is more or less the same, earlier I added the network_mode: bridge line.

Actually, the error message is in syncthing's log, Listener Failures window, and Discovery Failures window.

syncthing log from start:

and from there it just repeats;

Screenshots of Listener and Discovery status windows:

(Don't look at those IPv6 messages, IPv6 is disabled on my router 'cause for me it was useless on a LAN).

And no, there are no rules set now, the firewall GUI interface is empty.

I didn't touch iptables at all, CLI or otherwise.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please edit the registry output you have published and delete the keys. As soon as possible.

Edit: I've taken the liberty of doing it myself...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You would need to ensure that you adhere to the premises of this guide to use docker containers. Permissions, volumes ...

The fundamental aspect is to make sure that the user used in the container has permissions to write the defined volumes.

[How to] Prepare OMV to install docker applications

• Offizieller Beitrag

- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-bbd650cb-0741-4f2c-b4f6-1b88718a12ad/SAMBA SHARE FOLDER:/var/syncthing

I don't like this line. Why right define / var / syncthing? According to the official documentation it should be / data1, why is this change?

On the left you must define the folder where you want to synchronize the data. Is that the directory where you want to sync? If so, it would remove the spaces. They are usually troublesome. I would change it to SAMBA_SHARE_FOLDER. If it is a shared folder you may need to modify it as well.

• [::1]:53: is IPv6 DNS.

Can you log into the syncthing container and verifiy, you have a valid address resolution inside the container.

nslookup relays.syncthing.net or ping relays.syncthing.net or whatever you have available in this container.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Zoki This catches my attention. In my configuration, IPv6 is disabled on both the server and the router, just like the OP.

But in my syncthing logs I see IPv6 connections, so I'm assuming it will be IPv6 over IPv4 connections.

The point is that in OP's case this gives an error.

I have been going through my syncthing config.xml and there is no reference to IPv6. The devices are configured in dynamic mode. There are no addresses set, that means you can use both protocols as per the syncthing manual.

In theory, you can define only IPv4 connections, discarding IPv6. But I don't see the point if it works for me. Also this is a Linuxserver container, I don't know how it would affect changing this configuration, in the Linuxserver documentation it does not give this option.

Any ideas?

• First check that my guess is valid. nineheadnaga log into the syncthing container and check if DNS is working.
    It is just a pure guess based on the error.

The other thing would be to google for the error message.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Please edit the registry output you have published and delete the keys. As soon as possible.

Edit: I've taken the liberty of doing it myself...

Sorry, I posted then got to bed. However, from their FAQ I don't think those Syncthing ID are security-sensitive data.

As for the guide to use docker containers, I'm working through it re-checking everything I may have missed. So far I've found a couple things, so from "OMV > Access rights management > Shared folders" I've granted read/write permission for the user associated with Syncthing to the SMB shared folder and the /docker folder.

I don't like this line. Why right define / var / syncthing? According to the official documentation it should be / data1, why is this change?

On the left you must define the folder where you want to synchronize the data. Is that the directory where you want to sync? If so, it would remove the spaces. They are usually troublesome. I would change it to SAMBA_SHARE_FOLDER. If it is a shared folder you may need to modify it as well.

It's from the tutorial I used to help me configure some details when setting up the Syncthing container for the first time (at the time I didn't know of the How-to posted here). But I was under the impression that the folder name didn't matter much, as long as the container is told where to look.

As for the share name it was a placeholder, it actually is "Office technical archive" and yes it has spaces. Since in windows networks it has undescores anyway I guess I can change it, I'll just have to see how to rename it without re-doing it from scratch.

[::1]:53: is IPv6 DNS.

Can you log into the syncthing container and verifiy, you have a valid address resolution inside the container.

nslookup relays.syncthing.net or ping relays.syncthing.net or whatever you have available in this container.

This is interesting. I've tried

Code
    #> docker exec -it syncthing ping relays.syncthing.net
    PING relays.syncthing.net (82.196.13.137): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 82.196.13.137: seq=0 ttl=52 time=68.078 ms
    64 bytes from 82.196.13.137: seq=1 ttl=52 time=69.877 ms
    64 bytes from 82.196.13.137: seq=2 ttl=52 time=84.765 ms

and it works. Same for pinging from outside the container. But when I try nslookup:

Code
    #> docker exec -it syncthing nslookup relays.syncthing.net
    Server:         8.8.8.8
    Address:        8.8.8.8:53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:   relays.syncthing.net
    Address: 82.196.13.137

*** Can't find relays.syncthing.net: No answer

it gives this weird double answer. Simple lookup from outside gives a more normal answer:

Code
    #> nslookup relays.syncthing.net
    Server:         8.8.8.8
    Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Name:   relays.syncthing.net
    Address: 82.196.13.137

(but writing 8.8.8.8#53 instead of 8.8.8.8:53 for some reason). At the beginning I had googled that [::1]:53 and apparently it's an empty address that couldn't be filled because of DNS issues; makes sense, if it's looking for an IPv6 address and IPv6 isn't active on the router.

I've looked in Syncthing options, and the only thing that seems to mention IPv6 is in the Advanced Settings Local Announce MAC Addr: [ff12::8384]:21027 otherwise, as chente said, it doesn't even give the choice between v6 and v4. Could be it's automatically managed, but then why does it look so dead set on using v6 when v6 isn't there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

As for the share name it was a placeholder

Looking back at the linuxserver documentation for this container, I see that the data folder is set to /data1 (and /data2 if you're going to use it too). I don't know where you copied the /var/syncthing folder name from?

I think you should stick to the linuxserver instructions and rename that folder to /data1

Did you get any advancement?

• for a first try comment line 13 (mount to /var/syncthing) delete the container and rebuild.

Stop/start is not enough

• Sorry for the delay, the SBC decided it didn't want to use wi-fi or docker anymore so I had to rewrite a previous backup image. I used the chance to re-configure docker and syncthing according to the guides you linked, including the /data1 folder.

Looking back at the linuxserver documentation for this container, I see that the data folder is set to /data1 (and /data2 if you're going to use it too). I don't know where you copied the /var/syncthing folder name from?

I think you should stick to the linuxserver instructions and rename that folder to /data1

/var/syncthing comes from another tutorial I followed at the time to set up the Syncthing container. Looking back, it was outdated and unclear in some points.

Anyway, I tried deleting that line and rebuilding the container. Obviously I get a warning for the now missing folder, but I also keep getting the same error message in the logs:

Code
    2021-12-12 18:16:37 Relay listener (dynamic+https://relays.syncthing.net/endpoint) starting
    2021-12-12 18:16:37 Relay listener (dynamic+https://relays.syncthing.net/endpoint) shutting down
    2021-12-12 18:16:37 listenerSupervisor@dynamic+https://relays.syncthing.net/endpoint: service dynamic+https://relays.syncthing.net/endpoint failed: Get "https://relays.syncthing.net/endpoint": dial tcp: lookup relays.syncthing.net on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: connect: cannot assign requested address
    • Offizieller Beitrag

the SBC decided it didn't want to use wi-fi or docker

Do you have the OMV system connected to the router with wifi?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, is that a possible problem?

To be honest I do not know. Whether this could affect syncthing will need to be investigated. But at the very least it is unusual. The normal thing in any NAS is that it is connected by cable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have the possibility, I would try to make a cable connection, reconfigure the network with omv-firstaid and we would have no doubts.

• I tried it right now. Activated ethernet interface with omv-firstaid (that for some reason de-activated the wireless interface), rebuilt the container with the same .YML stack as before. Same result.

On the router the usual ports are open. Should I try doing the same in the Network > Firewall settings for OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, at least we've gotten rid of doubts.

The firewall should not touch. By default it should let traffic pass.

Did you try what Zoki said?

Zitat

• Just another stupid question: Do you have some other service listening on port 22000 ?

Shut down your syncthing stack.

try docker ps -a (will show mapped ports) and

netstat -tulpen (will show all ports listened on).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!