PiHole wont start after DNS broken is fixed

• With some help from macom and KM0201 , my broken DNS is fixed. Even put OMV back to static IP as it was before, and everything seems to work again.

Only PiHole is stopped, and get an error:

Failure Cannot restart container : driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint PiHole: Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:53: bind: address already in use

• Change the yml/stack to:

"192.168.x.x:53:53" where x.x is your LAN IP.

Restart pihole

• you got your dns issues fixed a few minutes ago and now you start to fiddle with it right away.

Undo the changes and tell us, how the pihole is started. Docker by command line, docker-compose by command line, portainer stack or portainer container.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• you got your dns issues fixed a few minutes ago and now you start to fiddle with it right away.

Undo the changes and tell us, how the pihole is started. Docker by command line, docker-compose by command line, portainer stack or portainer container.

I just did what was in the link, edit /etc/systemd/resolved.conf set DNSStubListner to no

Rebooted, and opened portainer, where PiHole was listed as running. And I could open PiHole as well.

• What soma recommended was to change the ports assignment from 53:53 to <ip_of_my_server>:53:53

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• What soma recommended was to change the ports assignment from 53:53 to <ip_of_my_server>:53:53

Is that both for udp as tcp?

And is change that better than set DNSStubListner to no? Or does set DNSStubListner to no harm something else in the long term?

• DNS used to be UDP, but nowadays TCP is used as well.

From the docs:

The DNS stub resolver on 127.0.0.53 provides the full feature set of the local resolver, which includes offering LLMNR/MulticastDNS resolution.

Note that the DNS stub listener is turned off implicitly when its listening address and port are already in use.

So the answer depends an what else on the server relies on having a fully functional resolver. In your configuration you replaced the local resolver by PiHole.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!