ZFS on OMV6

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've installed OMV6 in a VM to have a look, I like it 'seems to be' snappier, install no problem, extras no problem, proxmox kernel no problem, not sure about the dashboard that may have to grow on me :)

Anyway, ZFS, whilst I shall import my existing pool I thought I would have a go at creating a new one anyway -> this works, installed the sharerootfs, and zfs plugins, added 4 virtual drives and from the cli zpool create raidz1 with the 4 drives, this displays in the zfs plugin as State -> Online and Status -> OK.

Creating a dataset; zfs create tank/Movies, this works and displays in the plugin as expected, except for State -> n/a Status -> n/a

Obviously I've missed the plot somewhere and I would like to understand where

• Offizieller Beitrag

Creating a dataset; zfs create tank/Movies, this works and displays in the plugin as expected, except for State -> n/a Status -> n/a

This is using the same function to get the status as the old plugin. The difference is the old plugin used a tree view and you wouldn't see it. So, there is no problem with what you are seeing. You should run an import after creating anything from the command line. It should never hurt to run an import either (that code has not changed) since it used to run every time you looked at the 5.x plugin's tree view.

omv 7.1.1-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.1.1-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

this is just as easy as having full blown plugin you created for OMV5, thank you

good to hear. I do plan to add more features. Just will take a bit of time since really none of the old web interface can even be ported to OMV 6.x.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.1.1-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

• Created a pool using Cockpit and 45 Drives ZFS plugin. Showed up directly in OMV6.0. Thanks

Installed cockpit from here:

sudo apt-get install cockpit

Added ZFS plug in like this:

sudo apt-get install git

git clone https://github.com/45drives/cockpit-zfs-manager.git

sudo cp -r cockpit-zfs-manager/zfs /usr/share/cockpit

Used default settings (except telling the plugin not to handle Samba shares).

Also was logged in as root so sudo wasn't needed but easier to copy/paste the commands.

Former Xpenology user moved to OMV 7.x with ZFS.

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x 32GB USB - 1x 480 GB SSD - 4x 16TB Exos (Shucked) / ZFS - OMV 7.x bare metal

HP Microserver Gen7 N54L - 8GB RAM - 1x 32GB USB - 1x 240 GB SSD - 4x 4TB / ZFS - OMV 7.x bare metal

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, today I had a look at updates there were some in relation to the proxmox kernel and headers and dkms these would not install via the GUI, but there was no error in the sys log, so I ran omv-upgrade from the cli and got the following;

no idea if this is relevant, but the server seems to be working ok.

Output from this line -> Consult /var/lib/dkms/zfs/2.1.2/build/make.log for more information

Code
    DKMS make.log for zfs-2.1.2 for kernel 5.15.5-1-pve (x86_64)
    Mon Dec 27 11:45:45 GMT 2021
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

today I had a look at updates there were some in relation to the proxmox kernel and headers and dkms these would not install via the GUI, but there was no error in the sys log, so I ran omv-upgrade from the cli and got the following;

This happens because Debian bullseye-backports has a newer version of zfs-zed in the repo than the proxmox repo. Having the proxmox kernel installed should prevent these from being installed and only visible from the command line. It doesn't cause a problem though. Just apt doing its job.

• Are you sure:

Code
    Building initial module for 5.15.5-1-pve

configure: error: in `/var/lib/dkms/zfs/2.1.2/build':
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See `config.log' for more details
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.15.5-1-pve (x86_64)

looks like zed-dkms has not been built for that kernel.

Don't know what happenes if you boot to that kernel.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

looks like zed-dkms has not been built for that kernel.

The module does not need to be built for the proxmox (pve) kernel since the module is already in the kernel. That is one of the biggest reason I recommend using the proxmox kernel with zfs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I decided to do a clean deployment of the VM, just to reconfirm my install procedure, this went well until the install of the zfs plugin;

this looks similar to the error seen on OMV5 a while ago

• Offizieller Beitrag

this went well until the install of the zfs plugin;

This isn't the plugin causing it. It is just a pain in the problem with installing the dependencies. I'm guessing your system has zfs-zed 2.1.2 from the debian repos installed? what is the output of: dpkg -l | grep zfs

• Offizieller Beitrag

no output

Are you using the proxmox kernel?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian has put zfs 2.1.2 in bullseye-backports. So, I actually recommend disabling backports in omv-extras if you are going to use the Proxmox kernel. Keeping backports enabled if you are using the proxmox kernel offers no benefits (actually causes problems right now with zfs). It did offer benefits on omv 5.x but not with OMV 6.x (at least right now).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Disabled the backports, still errors;

the difference I can see is the kernel, I'm sure when I initially tried this it was 5.15.5-1 and the updates in the GUI included 5.15.7-1 which would not install.

Completing a clean install just to document has now installed 5.15.7-1 from the install proxmox kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

the difference I can see is the kernel, I'm sure when I initially tried this it was 5.15.5-1 and the updates in the GUI included 5.15.7-1 which would not install.

Completing a clean install just to document has now installed 5.15.7-1 from the install proxmox kernel

The version of proxmox kernel shouldn't matter. What really needs to happen is the zfs packages from the proxmox repo get installed first. The plugin can only tell apt which packages it wants not the repo. The only way to make the plugin better would be to require the proxmox kernel but I was trying to avoid that. I could also install the zfs packages with the proxmox kernel. I will need to test why disabling backports didn't fix it but testing this problem from the web interface is not going to help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!