omvextrasorg error after upgrade to 5

• My upgrade from 4 to 5 seemed to have gone well until I got to the part where I am trying to add in omvextras. I did see an error that mentioned dpkg while I was in the upgrade - I ran a series of install commands that I found in this forum and it seemed to get rid of the error but I am not sure. Anyway, I am able to load omv gui without error.

So when I installed omvextras I get this error:

In this thread someone had the same error and it was recommended that omv-salt be executed again.

when I did this I got the same omv-mkconf command not found error. I've also tried other install / clean commands that I've found in other threads.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT

Is it possible that something didn't update? It looks like this command was removed in 5. I used the commands listed in the upgrade guide and did not do anything out of the ordinary.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is trying to install omv-extras 4.x. Run the install script again - OMV-Extras.org Plugin

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It is trying to install omv-extras 4.x. Run the install script again - OMV-Extras.org Plugin

Thanks so much - that did the trick for that problem.

So I am trying to get Docker running so that I can surface the containers that I had created in 4. I am following TechnoDad's OMV5 Portainer setup video and I am confused by a couple of things.

1) The default path for Docker Storage is /var/lib/docker. Since I had an existing docker setup in the shared folder /Docker, should I change the path?

2) In his video there is an "Open Web" button when Docker and Portainer are installed. I don't see this button. Has it been removed? I can see that both Docker and Portainer are running.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The default path for Docker Storage is /var/lib/docker. Since I had an existing docker setup in the shared folder /Docker, should I change the path?

I don't remember if that is actually in the root path or not. what is the output of: ls /

In his video there is an "Open Web" button when Docker and Portainer are installed. I don't see this button. Has it been removed? I can see that both Docker and Portainer are running.

Now it says open portainer in the docker tab of omv-extras.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I don't remember if that is actually in the root path or not. what is the output of: ls /

Now it says open portainer in the docker tab of omv-extras.

Argh, I should have seen the buttons.

my containers are in sharedfolders/Docker/containers and that docker is now in /var/lib/docker. How should I proceed here? I don't know enough about the file system to know what to do here (e.g. is this path in the OS drive or not). If I uninstalled Docker could I simply reinstall and point it to my existing Docker path?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I uninstalled Docker could I simply reinstall and point it to my existing Docker path?

You should be able to since the important data is saved in volumes. You will just have to re-download the images and recreate the containers. If you use docker-compose or portainer stacks, that is as easy as running the compose file or stack again.

• Give me an ls /sharedfolders/Docker and sharedfolders/Docker/containers  I am not sure if you are talking about the root of the docker internal directory or where you place the docker-compose.yml files.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Give me an ls /sharedfolders/Docker and sharedfolders/Docker/containers  I am not sure if you are talking about the root of the docker internal directory or where you place the docker-compose.yml files

sharedfolders if off of /. So the ls of /sharedfolders/Docker is this:

Code
    builder   containers  mysql    overlay2  runtimes  tmp    volumes
    buildkit  image       network  plugins   swarm     trust

So at this point I am not sure how to proceed.

• I am wondering about the mysql folder. This is not part of docker.

the /sharedfolders directory is not enabled by default in OMV any more. So I would do this:

1. Stop the docker daemon (this stops all containers too) systemctl stop docker
    2. Move the /sharedfolders/Docker to a data drive /srv/dev-disk-by-XXX/docker (if it is not already there) mv /sharedfolders/Docker /srv/dev-disk-byXXX/docker
    3. Go to the Web UI OMV-Extras -> Docker
    4. Change Docker storage to /srv/dev-disk-by-XXX/docker
    5. Click save
    6. Docker -> restart
    7. Check if everything works as expected
    8. Remove /var/lib/docker directory

This assumes, you have not yet done anything with the new docker install, you just created.

Check what to do with the mysql directory and move it to the appropriate place.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Thanks again! Ok, getting there. When I saw your instructions I realized that the file path of the docker folder was actually already /src/dev-disk-by-label-Docker/ so I did not need to perform that step.

Ok, I performed all of the other steps and then installed portainer. The path of my docker installation is set to /src/dev-disk-by-label-Docker/Docker/. When I issue an "ls" in that folder I see the same folders that I entered previously.

Do I need to perform an additional step in portainer? I don't see any of my containers there.

• Are the containers running?

Portainer will see running containers, but you can not manage them from portainer.

how did you configure the containers before?

• Are the containers running?

Portainer will see running containers, but you can not manage them from portainer.

how did you configure the containers before?

This is where I am a little light in knowledge. I created the containers using the UI (often following TechnoDad's videos) in OMV 4. This area in 5 is new to me.

• I do not know the videos. Which UI did he use?

I manually ran the image in the OMV 4 UI to create the container. I entered all of the values into the UI. I don't have any experience creating or modifying containers via CLI (although that is next on my education list).

• there are no containers defined, except portainer.

Did you change the docker storage directory to the correct path (case sensitive)

and please post output of docker image ls and docker volume ls

• there are no containers defined, except portainer.

Did you change the docker storage directory to the correct path (case sensitive)

and please post output of docker image ls and docker volume ls

Yes, I think that gets to the root of my struggles: I don't fundamentally understand what changed in 5 and what I need to do to get my containers running again. I am now starting to watch a video on how to use docker and portainer. It seems as though I need to understand how to pull the images down so that I can work with the containers just as I did via the UI in 4? If someone has a recommendation for training material I would very much appreciate it.

REPOSITORY TAG IMAGE ID CREATED SIZE

portainer/portainer-ce latest 0df02179156a 4 weeks ago 273MB

DRIVER VOLUME NAME

local portainer_data

In the UI I did change the value of "Docker Storage" to be the path where of my previous docker configuration:

/src/dev-disk-by-label-Docker/Docker/

• This all says, none of you previous containers is in this directory. Did you really change the setting in OMV4 or have all your containers be stored in /var/lib/docker on the old system disk?

You need to redefine the containers like you de before and the least thing is to know how to pull images, this is done by docker behind the scenes.

Best to get started is the docker getting started.

• Ok, googled for the technoDads Video on portainer and sa OMV4 hab a plugin / service for docker. Never knew that.

But Portianer is not that different from the old UI, but i highly reccomend to start wit docker-compse / portainer stacke and not to define containers by the UI.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!