Phantom FS in config-xml and in other places

• Hello, guys! After switching to OMV6, I noticed floating problem with phantom FS.

Floating - I don't know what action or config produce it. But I caught the problem twice and had have to clean reinstall.

Installation method: on server debian with several unfree drivers.

Installed and configured: users, ssh, disks, FS, shared dirs, smb, portainer, plugins (nut, minidlna, flashmemory, diskstat, cputemp, kvm, sharerootfs)

I suppose guilty sharerootfs or kvm :)

So, one day I've get pending update in web UI.

It's mistake to:

- ignore it

- revert it

- applay it

because i've got stub system after it. System mounted with flag "errors=remount-ro", so after salt deploy phantom changes, system goes read-only mode. No sudo privileges, reboot only from physical button.

What there was in changes? New mntent with 79684322-3eac-11ea-a974-63a080abab18 uuid.

Code
    cd /etc/openmediavault
    ls 
    # config.xml  config.xml.0001  php.ini
    diff -c config.xml config.xml.0001

Joke in that there was not such device:

Right choice is just delete config.xml.0001 and reboot.

After that, I tried to configure storage for KVM.

In dialogue at KVM -> Pools -> Add -> Path I get error

Zitat

Failed to execute XPath query '//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='79684322-3eac-11ea-a974-63a080abab18']'. a few seconds ago

Nice, yes? Of cource there were nothing with such guid in fstab or config.xml.

Strange solution: remove plugin sharerootfs - it'll also remove KVM and some cache. After that - install KVM again.

So, problem had gone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That "phantom" entry is added by the sharerootfs plugin and not causing any problems - https://github.com/openmediava…-sharerootfs.postinst#L32

remove plugin sharerootfs - it'll also remove KVM and some cache. After that - install KVM again.

So, problem had gone.

The KVM plugin depends on sharerootfs. That is why it is removed when you remove the sharerootfs plugin.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That "phantom" entry is added by the sharerootfs plugin and not causing any problems - https://github.com/openmediava…-sharerootfs.postinst#L32

The KVM plugin depends on sharerootfs. That is why it is removed when you remove the sharerootfs plugin.

Yep, I understand this.

That "phantom" entry is added by the sharerootfs plugin and not causing any problems

Can't agree with this.

On my setup

there was such scenario of problem:

- plugin register new FS in config update

- web UI show pending updates

- applying updates deploy changes to fstab and etc

- web UI show "missing" FS in grid Storage -> File System

- system (not OMV, all OS) goes to read-only mode

Maybe it'll be less painfull to get disk uuid with currnet Os, than use hardcode?

For support aim there will be option to use hardcoded FS label.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can't agree with this.

I have six OMV 6.0.18 setups running all with the sharerootfs plugin installed. None have this problem.

web UI show "missing" FS in grid Storage -> File System

- system (not OMV, all OS) goes to read-only mode

The OS doesn't know anything about the sharerootfs mntent entry. So, something else is wrong with your system. Post: sudo omv-showkey mntent And if you enabled the devices column in the Filesystem tab, what device is missing?

Maybe it'll be less painfull to get disk uuid with currnet Os, than use hardcode?

Nope. That would be a nightmare for my plugins. While the plugins that use are hard-coding the uuid, OMV technically is not. It is a value in /etc/default/openmediavault

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Post: sudo omv-showkey mntent And if you enabled the devices column in the Filesystem tab, what device is missing?

I would be happy to help. But now, after cleaning the reinstall, the problem does not appear with all aspects.

If delete plugins, reboot, install plugins, reboot, there will be missing FS, but

- without pending updates

- without broken fstab

Response of sudo omv-showkey mntent is

if you enabled the devices column in the Filesystem tab, what device is missing?

There is just blank cells

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a feeling this is caused by having an additional partition on the OS drive that is mounted (especially considering the OS partition is not first and a data partition is). I don't have any systems setup this way. I would file a bug report but Volker might say this is an unsupported config.

• I have a feeling this is caused by having an additional partition on the OS drive that is mounted (especially considering the OS partition is not first and a data partition is). I don't have any systems setup this way. I would file a bug report but Volker might say this is an unsupported config.

Sadly.
    I saw a note on the prerequisites about using a whole disk.

But I thought this was done for the convenience of installation by users who are not ready to engage in partitioner.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sadly.
    I saw a note on the prerequisites about using a whole disk.

But I thought this was done for the convenience of installation by users who are not ready to engage in partitioner.

Personally, I like insulating the OS from the data, so I don't keep anything on my data drive (but it's only a 64gig SSD at the moment).

Youv'e got other options

1. Rootshare plugins

2. Assuming the machine boots USB.. get a good 32-64bit flash drive, install OMV to it, and install the flash memory plugin. Then just use your entire OS drive (that you have now) for data.

• Personally, I like insulating the OS from the data, so I don't keep anything on my data drive

Thank you, I understand why users need to separate storages.
    And I understand that I can move the winOs partition to another ssd and stretch the current partition with Debian
    My sadness is that this will take time and effort.. if I want to have a backup machine with dualboot :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It has worked up until this point. Some recent change must have broken it.

if I want to have a backup machine with dualboot

You dual boot your NAS with Windows? Why? You can always boot it with a bootable linux distro if OMV/Debian has an issue. Since your filesystems are ext4, Windows is not good for that (I know there are ext drivers but they suck).

• You dual boot your NAS with Windows? Why?

I calm my paranoia with the ability to boot into Windows :)

My whole family switched to laptops. They are good in a lot of aspects. But if something breaks, then the service center usually diagnoses the problem for a long time.

Exactly for this case that I keep the x86 PC: I can open Windows-specific programs on it and continue working.

Even if such an opportunity is needed once in 2 years, I prefer to save the partition and grub entry.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!