Trying to achieve a few things with limited knowlede and only Google for help / Nextcloud / qBitorrent are examples of things I need direction on

• So, I've setup my OMV (and working for my needs so far, dedicated game servers, Plex and things to use for learning) on a small 500gb hard disk

I currently have 3 (6tb) drives in Raid 5 for local networked machine backup (which is working, including the external HDD for the actual backup, every 6 months and leaving it with the father in law)

I have 2 (2tb) drives in mirror for my Plex media (which is working, as my media is obtained on another machine, and saved via a Windows share) and

I also have 2 (2tb) drives in a mirror (ext4) which I wanted to move my portainer containers over too, and install Nextcloud (for cell phone picture backup) with it's /data folder there, and then I wanted to possible setup qBittorent (and additional programs like Sonaar, Radarr, etc (which are currently running/working on a windows machine) and have their items accessing the 2tb/ext4 drive.

During test installs, using Nextcloud as an example, I can't for the life of me during install, tell it to look at the 2tb drives for storage? I've tried using things like /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-[longdiskidhere[/ and I've looked at google for help, but there is a lot of information, when the bottom line, it might just not be possible?

Is it possible to use the mirror'd drives as the location for the storage of data, downloads, etc, etc

Can someone give me a little direction please, I'm predominately a Windows user, but a 'learn my google' Linux user.

Appreciate any tips and advice you may have.

Regards

PJ

Don't jump, if you do, you'll only fall and hurt yourself.

• post the stack and the output of lsblk or tell us which drive is the mirrord drive.

This should not be a problem.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• When you say 'post the stack' what do you mean?

as for the lsblk

Although I'm noticing from this, the /dev/md2, even though in OMV I'm seeing it called 'dockerimages' it doesn't have anything in the output? I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong there? or is it due to be ext4, not btrfs

And I noticed I made a typo, my MediaShare for Plex in actually 6tb not 2tb, but I know that is neither here nor there.

I'm happy to recreate the 2tb I want for my images and my data store and change from ext4 if need be, but the others I'd like to leave as they are right now.

• Your /dev/md2 (mirror 2TB) is mounted on /mnt (Check: ls -lah /mnt)

How did you mount that file system? It does not look like it is managed with OMV.

With stack I mean the docker configuration (docker-compose.yml) you are using for nextcloud.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Interesting, so it looks like when I was messing with qBittorent, something must have been done right, as I see the folder (I think) that was created due to the config in the 'qBittorrent Template' I changed to point to the drive to store the config and the downloads, hmmmmm.

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# ls -lah /mnt
    total 52K
    drwxr-xr-x  6 root root  4.0K Mar 23 13:09 .
    drwxr-xr-x 24 root root  4.0K Mar 23 13:15 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4.0K Mar 21 13:24 applicatrionconfigs
    -rw-------  1 root root  6.0K Mar 21 10:52 aquota.group
    -rw-------  1 root root  7.0K Mar 21 10:52 aquota.user
    drwxrwsrwx  2 root users 4.0K Mar 21 20:05 dockerimagesshare
    drwx------  2 root root   16K Mar 20 21:51 lost+found
    drwxr-xr-x  4 root root  4.0K Mar 23 13:09 qBittorrent

I didn't actually get to the point of the config for NextCloud second time around, I tried it once, it didn't work how I wanted (I tried to add 'external data' in the NextCloud Gui after all, but it didn't work, so I deleted the container and started again, so I'm just at the /data prompt gui, were it asks for the database username/password etc.

So I'm thinking if I use the same type of config for that initial setup, that I used for qBittorrent, it 'should' work, although I'm (being a basic Linux user and a Windows user) still having an issue being able to list files and folders on external drives (which you've now shown me) but how would I get into the folder 'qBittorrent' for example, as seeing the 'd' in the drwxr-xr-x I'm guessing it means directory?

If I new how to navigate within the external folders that are mounted, etc, like I'd be able to do on the OS drive, using CD etc I'd be happy, but I'm all new to it.

Oh and to answer your question on how I mounted the other one, I've done everything through GUI for the most part, but I may have tweaked something CLI following a 'guide' while I've been researching, and thinking about it, yeah, I remember doing some mounting CLI based to see if I could access the drive like I would the OS, so it probably was me doing that.

• I have deleted all the setup on that mount (as it was being used as testing anyways) and remounted it using OMV, now I don't have the /mnt I have a uuid listed now

• Here is acheat sheet for simple linux commands: https://linuxconfig.org/linux-commands-cheat-sheet

cd is used to navigate a file system.

I think, before you continue, you have to clean up and get some basics rigth:

- unmount /mnt (sudo umount /mnt)

- mount the disk using the UI

- Install docker as per this guide [How to] Prepare OMV to install docker applications

- If you want to have access from the outside to nextcloud, ... install swag (there is a guide too)

- Install nextcloud, ... using docker containers. Fpr config use a stack or docker-compose.yml file.

• Zitat

Here is acheat sheet for simple linux commands: https://linuxconfig.org/linux-commands-cheat-sheet

cd is used to navigate a file system.

Thanks for that link, I'll bookmark it.

I do know that CD will let me change directory, although I was unsure (as it's the first time) about additional drives mounted to the system, as I've always only played with Linux on one drive, any everything has been self contained on that drive.

Zitat

I think, before you continue, you have to clean up and get some basics rigth:

- unmount /mnt (sudo umount /mnt)

- mount the disk using the UI

I did remount it via the UI, I figured by showing you the additional list of 'mounts' up above and it showing '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-681e97b2-1b82-41c1-95f9-308ea76eab10' that would have shown that.

Zitat

Install docker as per this guide [How to] Prepare OMV to install docker applications

- If you want to have access from the outside to nextcloud, ... install swag (there is a guide too)

- Install nextcloud, ... using docker containers. Fpr config use a stack or docker-compose.yml file.

I already have docker installed and I'm using it via Portainer, and I currently have a Plex, PiHole, Satisfactory server, TF2 server, DuckDNS and Yatch (even though I don't use is) all running through containers.

I tried to install Nextcloud via a 'Stack' with the following options (also including the UUID of the drive, thinking that might be the issue) which installed SWAG but I've never tried to run it. All I get when clicking on it's address shown in an attachment to this post

I also realized now I can put '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-681e97b2-1b82-41c1-95f9-308ea76eab10' in WinSCP and I can see the files and file structure so I know when things are generating/populating, etc, I prefer GUI over CLI.

And from that stack instance, I see the folders get created when I view it using WinSCP

I do have Nextcloud installed, but it's the setup I'm having a challenge with, I'd just like the data drive to be pointing to '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-681e97b2-1b82-41c1-95f9-308ea76eab10' as there is more space, but when I try to do the install I get the error (see attached)

I used the install guide from [How-To] Nextcloud with swag (Letsencrypt) using OMV and docker-compose

But which ever way I try, using the UUID as the installed, I get the error {again, attached} I even tried to change the permissions of the folder (using WinSCP) thinking it was that, but that didn't work either. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag
    • Your error states "Cannot create or write into the data directory /srv....../data_test", but your yml file doesn't show this in any of your volumes.
    • You are using UUID=998, you should be using a user with a UUID of 1000 or greater. When you create a regular user it automatically is added to the users group, which is 100.
    • I'm not sure how you are copy/pasting your yml file, but you are loosing the format/indentation when you pasted it here, making it hard to read and hard to detect any problems with format.
    • Have you gone to the command line to see what your ownership and permissions are in nextcloud, data, and config?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-681e97b2-1b82-41c1-95f9-308ea76eab10/nextcloud/config:/NextCloud/config

Wrong.

See the guide again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I mssed that Soma . Good catch.

Also the volumes on lines 11 and 27 are the same. Your MariaDB config should in a different folder from your Nextcloud folder.

A better layout would be:

/srv/.......

-----appdata (all config folders)

----------nextcloud

---------------config

---------------data

----------nextclouddb

----------swag

Or the way mine is set up:

/srv/.......

-----appdata (all config folders)

----------nextcloud

----------nextclouddb

----------swag

-----nextcloud (for data)

Like Soma said, you need to go back and take a closer look at the yml file on the Guide page.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Guys, thank you.

I started fresh, changed my config/paths, new user (one from the OMV UI, which was 1000) and it installed on the external drives, as I've viewed it using WinSCP and I can see the default files, like the frog and birdie picture, so I know it's saving the data in the correct place.

Next challenge (as this is all a learning curve) to be able to configure SWAG correctly to allow me to connect from the duckdns I have setup. It says it's going through the motions (in the log) getting the certificate, etc but trying to access the site using the duckdns (even with adding the IP's and domain names into config.php) seems fail, yet if I put in the actual IP address of my server that is given to duckdns, it will connect, even from my cell phone. Although, duckdns isn't a priority, as the IP i'm using for the device is a fixed one provided by my VPN provider.

Again, thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!