Can't read files from new HDD though writing data works

• Hello everyone

I had my NAS running for a year now with a single 1TB HDD (WD Elements) attached to a RPi 4B 4GB. However I needed some more space so I bought a second HDD with 2TB a few days ago (Seagate Expansion Portable). I also got a USB hub with an external power supply to provide enough energy to the disks.

Unfortunately I ran into some problems with my new Seagate drive. At first everything was fine, I put some video files to the hard drive and there haven't been any problems. However, yesterday I tried to watch one of those videos and it didn't work. The video was running for the first 5 seconds, then it stopped. Then I tried another video, exactly the same problem here. I thought "okay, let's just copy the video to my PC before watching it". That also didn't work. The copying process stopped and Windows showed the error code 0x8007045D. The other WD Elements HDD still worked without problems by the way, this problem only persists with the new Seagate drive.

After a few failed attempts to copy any file, my Raspberry completely lost connection to both HDDs. After rebooting the Raspberry, both drives were available again.

The first thing I thought about was an issue regarding the power supplied to the disks. But if that's the reason, then why is the other WD HDD not having the same problem? Also, why have I been able to write data to both disks then?

Anyways, I decided to remove the WD drive and to try again with only the Seagate being attached. The problem still persisted so there must be another reason.

The next thing I did was to plug the Seagate into my PC, save the data on it and reformat it to EXT4. That also didn't help. I can still write data to the drive but reading doesn't work. Opening small files like an image is sometimes working, but I can't open or copy any bigger file.

I also thought about Windows being the problem but the problems also persist with my android devices.

Now my question is what else I can try. I don't understand why the WD Elements drive is working but the Seagate isn't.

Thanks in advance for any help. I wish you a great weekend.

• Gsonz

Hat das Label von OMV 5.x auf OMV 6.x (RC1) geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The next thing I did was to plug the Seagate into my PC, save the data on it and reformat it to EXT4.

Are you formatting the drive on your pc? It needs to be wiped, formatted, and mounted from the OMV GUI.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• It needs to be wiped, formatted, and mounted from the OMV GUI.

I have done that once again but it still didn't solve my problem. I copied a video file to the HDD which worked fine with 110MB/s transfer speed but after trying to open the video the mounted drives disappeared.

• I found a (temporary) solution to my problem. If I attach one of the drives to the USB hub and the other one directly to the Raspberry, both are working fine.

Maybe the USB hub is faulty, I'll take a closer look at that when I have time.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!