I have a domain name, do I need to do anything special at setup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh yeah I know mine is small. But I still use Spotify (not normally of course, I don’t get ads) a lot, and I want to replace it. Even if I have to manually download songs.

Most of my music I got back when gomusic was popular and I'd buy whole albums for like $1

• I wish there was an easy/cheap way to legally buy songs from artists as a digital copy. Because i do have to keep in mind that I’m enjoying their music for free when they could technically be getting money. (Am a professional musician, I would be upset if I didn’t get paid). Still thinking over ethics.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wish there was an easy/cheap way to legally buy songs from artists as a digital copy. Because i do have to keep in mind that I’m enjoying their music for free when they could technically be getting money. (Am a professional musician, I would be upset if I didn’t get paid). Still thinking over ethics.

Unfortunately there's so many grubby paws that that have their hand out.. producers, labels, marketing, etc. Lot of hands out before the artist puts anything in their pocket (probably why so many start their own labels). 100 CDR's on amazon run around 19 bucks... so my quick math says that's about 20 cents each.. so the distribution media isn't a big deal.

• So did you get this server built or you just hanging out here talking about it?

(Don't worry, Iv'e been talking abuot upgrading for at least a year...lol.)

*embarrassed eyeroll* yeah so the server is physically built. The last couple days I’ve been figuring out which of my super old gpus will go in it because it doesn’t have a display output, and I might be able to use hardware acceleration if I mess with some things.

But as far as openmediavault installed, no. Last night I downloaded the iso, but it was too late to install. It was weird cause it downloaded 6-?-24 when the latest is 6-?-27. I guess I install and then update.

I guess I just want to be fairly certain I do it right, but I also do not have tons and tons of free time with school and work and everything

• Offizieller Beitrag

*embarrassed eyeroll* yeah so the server is physically built. The last couple days I’ve been figuring out which of my super old gpus will go in it because it doesn’t have a display output, and I might be able to use hardware acceleration if I mess with some things.

But as far as openmediavault installed, no. Last night I downloaded the iso, but it was too late to install. It was weird cause it downloaded 6-?-24 when the latest is 6-?-27. I guess I install and then update.

I guess I just want to be fairly certain I do it right, but I also do not have tons and tons of free time with school and work and everything

1. The ISO... Volker doesn't update the ISO's very often... so it's not uncommon to download an ISO and it be pretty old (maybe even the original stable release.) As you said, install and update, problem solved. *Sometimes* if there's been kernel upgrades, etc.. and you have some wonky hardware that won't work with the OMV ISO.. Downloading the current Debian netinst ISO, do a mini debian install, and then use the omv-extras script to install OMV on top of Debian.

2. Perfectly understandable. One thing I did when I first started doing this many moons ago (mainly because I got caught in that FreeNas/iX transfer debacle)... I was very cautious before I moved OMV. I knew my setup would have 4 data drives and an OS drive. If you have a reasonably powerful PC, you can install OMV in a virtualbox and just create 4 smallish data drives and test what you want to do. You don't have to move large data there... if you just want to test, moving 3-4 music albums, will essentially be the same as if you'd moved them all. Move 1 or 2 movies, is the same as moving 300.

It was a good way to test various things pre-docker. Now with docker.. I just fire it up and go with it. If it doesn't work, I just delete it. When OMV beta's come out however, I still test them in vbox for at least a month before I install it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you run the VBOXs on your server, or on your desktop pc?

Just my laptop. My server is a bit to slow to (well a lot) to really run VM's effectively.

It's just an easy way to practice what you're doing, seeing if something works, etc. If you run into major problems, you can either try to figure them out in anticipation of it happening.

Just as an example... yesterday I mentioned I've never used zfs, set up the plugin, etc. Well, I say that a lot. So yesterday, I setup zfs on a virtual machine in raid1 (since that was fresh on my mind as you'd mentioned it), mounted it, etc. Realized it's not near as difficult as I thought.. but I did initially get an issue but I just rebooted the VM and it started working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nice. But is the proxmox kernel better for anything? Would there be a reason to use it instead of the normal one?

I'm honestly not sure. I believe aaron usually recommends it with zfs, but just my limited test, it worked fine with the regular kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

ryecoaaron is this true about zfs and the proxmox kernel?

I'm by no means an authority on this, as it was a very basic test (create a file system, mount it, throw some shares on it, start a few services).

https://wiki.debian.org/ZFS

Looking there however, it appears Debian has had ZFS support since Squeeze.. but he may have another reason for recommending the proxmox kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend proxmox because the zfs module is already in the kernel. No compiling needed. Compiling is where people have a lot of problems.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend proxmox because the zfs module is already in the kernel. No compiling needed. Compiling is where people have a lot of problems.

Interesting. I didn't do any compiling. I just installed the plugin, set up my shares and off I went.

• Alright that sounds good. I don't know what order im doing everything in yet, but I finally got my 2 wd reds. Somehow they got shipped to my old address even though I put my new one in. Thankfully the people who bought our house were the grown up neighbor kids, and they texted and i picked it up xD

Right now I am going to set up the main OS stick drive.... wish me luck

• Offizieller Beitrag

Alright that sounds good. I don't know what order im doing everything in yet, but I finally got my 2 wd reds. Somehow they got shipped to my old address even though I put my new one in. Thankfully the people who bought our house were the grown up neighbor kids, and they texted and i picked it up xD

Right now I am going to set up the main OS stick drive.... wish me luck

Just understand... You're probably going to set this all up at least twice as you figure out exactly how you want things... You'll install everything the first time, then as you use it, see some things you wish you'd done differently, then go back and reinstall and do that... then it will happen again

The nice thing is, your data is insulated from the OS, so installing the OS really isn't that big of a deal, and it's just a matter of reinstalling and setting up the OS again.

• Oh please noooo I only want to set up once.... *sigh* but I know itll happen. its a linux user thing.

When I set up my main desktop computer with Ubuntu Studio (my daily driver OS), I thought I would never need to change it. Now that 22.04 is around the corner, I have decided to do a complete reinstall and learn from my dumb mistakes and haphazard choices.

But back to the server- I have an extra stick drive that will eventually be the backup drive for the main OS. I might do a reinstall there if I ever need to.

The nice thing is, your data is insulated from the OS, so installing the OS really isn't that big of a deal, and it's just a matter of reinstalling and setting up the OS again.

What about the PUID and GUID of my docker user? can those numbers be manually assigned? Or will i have to edit all those stacks in portainer or something

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!