I have a domain name, do I need to do anything special at setup?

• I own a domain from cloudflare, and I'm going to point it to my server through NGINX and some sort or SSL so I can have https. (off topic, but please point me to a tutorial, guide, or thread about this, maybe SWAG? :))

When I first install and I have to type in the name for the server, and the hostname or whatever (usually .local), do I need to put my domain in at some point? Or will all of that be done with NGINX and cloudflare?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I own a domain from cloudflare, and I'm going to point it to my server through NGINX and some sort or SSL so I can have https. (off topic, but please point me to a tutorial, guide, or thread about this, maybe SWAG? :))

When I first install and I have to type in the name for the server, and the hostname or whatever (usually .local), do I need to put my domain in at some point? Or will all of that be done with NGINX and cloudflare?

This should work...

Obviously you won't have to import a domain to a cloudflare account.. since your domain is through them and I assume already active.. You can start here, and proceed through the end, and it should work fine.

Zitat

When it shows Active, Click your Domain, and click DNS on the left.

• So, I just set up my server like any other guide shows (in the setup, choose a name and .local), and then follow the guide?

Also, is SWAG instead of NGINX? And since SWAG has fail2ban, I won't have to mess with that at all? (just being really sure)

Thanks so much

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, I just set up my server like any other guide shows (in the setup, choose a name and .local), and then follow the guide?

Also, is SWAG instead of NGINX? And since SWAG has fail2ban, I won't have to mess with that at all? (just being really sure)

Thanks so much

1. Install OMV

2. Install docker

3. Install Portainer

4. Follow the instructions I gave you on how to set up the swag stack, port forwarding, DNS, etc.

swag is nginx based. swag has fail2ban included in it as I recall, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Once you successfully get a cert, then you start forwarding services through your domain (which is really pretty easy. Nextcloud is about the most complex container to forward through it)

• Thanks for the step by step! Very much appreciated.

Oof. I was hoping to do nextcloud at some point, although all I really want is nextcloud Talk lol. I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to ask for help

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the step by step! Very much appreciated.

Oof. I was hoping to do nextcloud at some point, although all I really want is nextcloud Talk lol. I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to ask for help

It's not hard... Just set up swag an get your cert... then nextcloud can be explained (I don't use nextcloud talk, but I assume it works well)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Epic.

From what I understand, I can't just install nextcloud talk, I'd have to install the whole mess :/

Correct, install the nextcloud suite, and then Talk is an app on it (like I said I don't use it, I use it for cloud office and storage and a few other things.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the cloud office still a paid part of the software? If it’s not I would use it instead of google docs

It's free... Although if you use the Linuxserver nextcloud container (which is generally recommended here).. It requires you to also run a Collabora container, and then link it to nextcloud (the actual nextcloud app doesn't work). It's easy though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting. I will look to set that up after I get some other important things like photoprism and jellyfin set up and configured to my liking.

Photoprism is one I had trouble with in docker for some reason... but if you're server is AMD64, the photo prism plugin works well, and is easy to reverse proxy through swag.

Jellyfin... I've had nothing but problems out of. The actual container installs, sets up, etc fine. But the scans are ridiculously slow... Now my collection isn't huge (probably about 3tb)and I literally let it scan for about 6hrs, and it was not even halfway through. Posts on their support forum, google., etc. "Yeah, some systems just scan slow, we're aware", but no real guide or reason on how to resolve it. Plex (although I dislike it) did not have this problem, nor did Emby.

Ended up just going with Emby. As long as you don't need emby to set up your remote access, etc. (which you don't).. it doesn't cost anything and scans 10 times faster (it scanned my whole library in about 40min when I set it up initially).

• I plan to install photoprism via the plugin.

Huh, I hadn’t heard anything like that about jellyfin.

Does Emby do music well? That’s a reason I would want jelly fin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I plan to install photoprism via the plugin.

Huh, I hadn’t heard anything like that about jellyfin.

Does Emby do music well? That’s a reason I would want jelly fin.

Emby and Jellyfin are almost 100% identical (thus why I didn't understand the scans running just fine on one, and at a snails pace on the other). I don't use it for music (I use airsonic-advanced, and then the subsonic app on my phone to stream music to it... or if I'm on my laptop, the airsonic webUI or Rhythmbox.

• Offizieller Beitrag

By the way, I just noticed you are in Indiana (I'm in the Southport area). I almost sure it was you, last time we were discussing something and you mentioned your fondness for goats. I've always been in the city, but have friends who are nuts about their goats. Go to all the shows, state fair, etc. I remember last time when you said that I thought "Man, he'd fit right in in Indiana"... but just now I actually checked your profile.

• Emby and Jellyfin are almost 100% identical

Except that Jellyfin has a true free opensource goal, and always plans to. I hope jelly will work for me, but if not i'll look at emby.

I use airsonic-advanced, and then the subsonic app on my phone to stream music to it

I will look into different music servers/players. I need something that I can stream music to my phone, but also download it for offline listening kind of like spotify premium.

"Man, he'd fit right in in Indiana"

Yep I love indiana, lots of good things. We do 4-H but we don't show our goats lol

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can understand why youd prefer jellyfin to emby... I've never been hung up on something being 100% open source. I'm hung up on stuff working. I've not tried JF again in probably 5-6mo... so maybe it's worked out. like I said when I searched I wasn't the only one, and the threads had no real resolution to the problem, nor did I get one when I asked just, "Yeah, we know".

• Offizieller Beitrag

By the way, Talk works just fine w/ linuxserver/nextcloud. When things slowed at work last night I got to dicking with it on my phone and a work computer..lol. It was kinda like a Multi Personality Disorder plugin for Nextcloud.. :) Didn't try audio/video calls, but the chat feature worked just fine... so I'd assume those features do as well

• Offizieller Beitrag

Chipwingg Finamp is available on android or iOS and it handles Jellyfin/music well. I used it for a while, but eventually stuck with Plex. The Prisim app on iOS is just as good with Plex as Finamp is with Jellyfin, but it does not have an android version.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Chipwingg Finamp is available on android or iOS and it handles Jellyfin/music well. I used it for a while, but eventually stuck with Plex. The Prisim app on iOS is just as good with Plex as Finamp is with Jellyfin, but it does not have an android version.

I really wish I could understand my issue with jellyfin. I'd prefer it over Emby just on principle.. but it is just unusable for me. I've been accused of lying about this in the past, so I figured I'd do an actual comparison... I compared scans for Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin, with a couple of basic container setups. All of them were set up using Firefox with a clear cache and no add ons (as someone suggested to me it was possibly Chrome or add on issue). The movie folder in question has about 350 movies, and weighs in at just under a tb. I don't claim this is empirical evidence, but it's been my experience every single time with Jelllyfin

First Emby. Only thing I really changed is it's called emby2 as I did't want to mess with my working Emby install, and I moved it off the default 8096 port, again to not interfere with my working install. I also disaabled remote access.

Deployed the container and started the scan at 1510. Scan was done at 1550. Emby missed the metadata on about 15 movies. This is one thing I love about Emby (and I'm assuming jellyfin).. is when this happens, I just go to IMDB, get the film's IMDB tag, identify it by tag, and it's done. I was completely scanned at 1600.

Next was Plex. Again I just took the default setup options, only disabling remote access.

Scan started at 1610. Plex definitely seems to scan faster than Emby and was done about 1635. It missed about 10 files. Fixing mismatches on Plex is a little more ardous than Emby, but I got them fixed and was done by about 1650. Plex could learn something from Emby here (or maybe this is an option somewhere and I missed it). All in all, while I prefer Emby, it's not hard to setup.

Then Jellyfin. Again, I took all defaults except remote access, and an option that I noticed said if this is enabled it might cause scans to be extremely slow. It's on by default, and I don't remember seeing this option in Emby or before in Jellyfin, so I disabled it since my issue with Jellyfin has always been scanning. Only other default I changed was the port, again so I didn't mess with my Emby install.

Started the scan at 1655. It's now been scanning just over an hour, and has pulled in exactly 44 movies. I'll let it run another hour or so and see if it finishes in under 2hrs, but I don't have my hopes up.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!