omv6 and nvidia gpu

• i am trying to install the nvidia drivers on OMV 7 according your guide but running into this error:

tried installing on a plain debian VM and it went without errors

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• i am using the stock OMV7 kernel

Linux omv6 6.1.0-18-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.76-1 (2024-02-01) x86_64 GNU/Linux)

did perform an apt purge *nvidia* serveral times, but did not help.

omv6 is the hostname of my install, but i am on 7 actually

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• switching to pve kernel allows to install the nvidia drivers without error, but i run into issues with sudo nvidia-xconfig - it does not find the GPU:

although in lspci i can clearly see the device

02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104GL [Tesla P4] (rev a1)

Powered by Proxmox VE

• Hm, I didn’t run into that issue until now.

Does it work if you leave out the xconfig part?

Or may be it helps if you uninstall nvidia-xconfig with purge parameter and reinstall it ?

apt-get remove nvidia-xconfig —purge

switching to pve kernel allows to install the nvidia drivers without error, but i run into issues with sudo nvidia-xconfig - it does not find the GPU:

although in lspci i can clearly see the device

02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104GL [Tesla P4] (rev a1)

• i better stop playing with that, because those drivers completely broke docker somehow and i has to restore my whole OMV installation from backup.

Powered by Proxmox VE

• You definitely do not need the X configuration file but just in case got no issue:

Your X configuration file has been successfully updated. Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64

(version: 550.54.14) is now complete.

• I just did the OMV6 -> OMV7 update on the weekend, which failed miserably twice in a row for me. Going through the logs, it was complaining about <guess what> the Nvidia drivers... I had to completely purge the Nvidia drivers from my system before the upgrade would successfully complete. However, this left me with no transcoding h/w, so I had to go into Jellyfin and Plex dockers and completely de-reference the Nvidia integration.

I did not spend a lot of time debugging, but from what I can see, the 470 drivers (and perhaps my video card itself?) are no longer supported in the Debian version that comes with OMV7 (just a guess). Part of the upgrade script output made reference to installing "Nouveau" Nvidia drivers, but at this point, screw it, I'm simply going to yank the card from my system and do direct streaming for everything!

Time to buy a new, Intel based server with video capability in the CPU itself...

• I might try to re-run the Nvidia driver install guide...

Tried to install the Nvidia drivers again as per the install guide and the install stopped at the following:

"This system has a graphics card which is no longer handled by the NVIDIA driver (package nvidia-driver).

You may wish to keep the package installed - for instance to drive some other card - but the card with the following chipset won't be usable.

06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] [10de:1187] (rev a1)

The above card requires either the non-free legacy NVIDIA driver (package nvidia-tesla-470-driver) or the free Nouveau driver (package xserver-xorg-video-nouveau). Use the update-glx command to switch between different installed drivers. │

Before the Nouveau driver can be used you must remove NVIDIA configuration from xorg.conf (and xorg.conf.d/)."

At this point I may just throw in the towel, given it errored-out at only step 3 of a relatively complex set of installation instructions.

• For me too, but plex is not hw-transcoding with that driver. As far as I remeber you are not using plex, right Nefertiti ?

I must say I never use plex, but the container is installed so it was easy to enable it I got pass anyway. So in Plex Transcoder-Advanced under Hardware transcoding device My Nvidia GPU is listed along the Intel one, and it is running with this driver5.50.54.14 Same for Tdarr no issue.

• finally i got this running. for me the steps where the following:

1) install proxmox kernel

2) disable apparmor

3) install the drivers according to the instructions, but ignore the xconfig part

now everything seems ok, but i could not try it as in the meantime i moved all my containers that could utilize the GPU to a different VM, only to realize i can't pass the GPU there because its tied with my HBA in a single IOMMU group