kernel panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown -block(0,0) - RANDOM

• i have a omv 6.0,

i cloned the boot disk from a tiny 32GB old SSD to a 500GB SSD with clonezilla

then wit gparted live i:

i removed extended partition for swap

i resized the boot partition

i recreated the extended and the swap

i got some problem because sometimes i got this error: kernel panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown -block(0,0) but not always.

now the system is running.

Any suggesttion in order to solve?

i can get now any log. ryecoaaron

• i checked in the /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg there is the proper disk UUID.

• Hi you need to change swap in fstab

swap was on /dev/sdh5 during installation
    #UUID=427783ac-a226-4431-93fd-e4cb0f5310d3 non

ooooh cool i got it when i recreated the the swap partition it has changed the UUID.

now i changed it but i got this error:

Code
    error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'. 

and this seems to be random too

• seems not be related anyway i got still also the other error randomly.

Kernel panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown -block(0,0)

this happen mostly if i do a reboot not if i start from a shutdown situation, can this be related to a motherboard bios firmware bug?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, the 500GB drive is not a problem. In addition to fixing the fstab, you need to run sudo update-grub

omv 7.4.6-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.3 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No, the 500GB drive is not a problem. In addition to fixing the fstab, you need to run sudo update-grub

ok but i did only changed swap UUID not the root.

I did it but i'll try to reboot tomorrow morning since it's at my father house and he is gone to bed :) and i'm going too

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok but i did only changed swap UUID not the root.

That doesn't matter. But I did type the wrong command (had a few beers). I meant sudo update-initramfs -u. But it never hurts to run update-grub.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.3 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

• That doesn't matter. But I did type the wrong command (had a few beers). I meant sudo update-initramfs -u. But it never hurts to run update-grub.

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# sudo update-initramfs -u
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.39-4-pve
    W: initramfs-tools configuration sets RESUME=UUID=427783ac-a226-4431-93fd-e4cb0f5310d3
    W: but no matching swap device is available.
    I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/sdm5
    I: (UUID=87e7014b-a734-4563-9b6c-01a9da1f58c3)
    I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.

is it ok or what else do i have to do?

i should have solved in that way:

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should change the uuid in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume as well. Then run update-initramfs -u again.

• after last update of kernel got this error randomly, when i boot from power off it mostly start but when rebooting sometimes i got the error, additionally i saw that a dkms module was not correctly installed after kernel update, i had to reinstall the application in order to make it install.

• i recently got this error after a working OMV 6 installation processed updates. will not boot any kernel that is installed. Also failure to boot recovery from grub menu.

any help getting the system back online without complete re-install would be appreciated.

MOVED TO NEW POST HERE:

OMV: OMV 6 - Intel I7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600 - 31.8 TB MDADM RAID 6

Desktop:
    Win 10 Pro - AMD RYZEN 5 3600X @4.2 - 32 GB DDR 4 3600 - 4 TB NVME

Win 10 Pro - I7-4770k @ 4.3 GHz - 16 GB DDR 3 1600 Samsung 960 Evo 500 (X2) Raid-0

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von CptHowdy ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!