mergerfs - help!

• Hello,

I've successfully upgraded last night to OMV 6 (some hiccups, but overall no big issues).

Now, I've never used mergerfs before, so I wanted to pool together 2 HDDs.

They already have data on it and are referenced and have both shared folders.

Now I enable the plugin, I go to mergerfs, I put the name "pool1", then I select both drives in the filesystems (/dev/sdd1 and /dev/sda1 - both are EXT4), I leave default and apply, but I get the below error everytime.

I also tried to populate the optional fields (sharedfolders and paths, so I selected the shared folders corresponding to the drives - I have one for each drive, and in the path I put /srv/mediapool/ to have them together. Same error in red pops up:

500 - OK

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; omv-salt deploy run --no-color mergerfs 2>&1' with exit code '1': pozz.nas: ---------- ID: configure_pool_dir Function: file.directory Name: /srv/mergerfs Result: True Comment: The directory /srv/mergerfs is in the correct state Started: 13:22:25.688005 Duration: 9.852 ms Changes: ---------- ID: remove_mergerfs_mount_files_/etc/systemd/system Function: module.run Result: True Comment: file.find: ['/etc/systemd/system/srv-mergerfs-pool1.mount'] Started: 13:22:25.699307 Duration: 6.71 ms Changes: ---------- file.find: - /etc/systemd/system/srv-mergerfs-pool1.mount ---------- ID: systemd_remove_dead_symlinks Function: cmd.run Name: find /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants -xtype l -print -delete Result: True Comment: Command "find /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants -xtype l -print -delete" run Started: 13:22:25.707526 Duration: 12.456 ms Changes: ---------- pid: 171762 retcode: 0 stderr: stdout: /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/srv-mergerfs-pool1.mount ---------- ID: configure_mergerfs_pool1 Function...

And the syslog

Sep 14 13:22:22 pozz kernel: [38415.178409] EXT4-fs (sdc1): re-mounted. Opts: acl,discard,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user

Sep 14 13:22:22 pozz kernel: [38415.211920] EXT4-fs (sdc1): re-mounted. Opts: acl,discard,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user

Sep 14 13:22:22 pozz kernel: [38415.284140] EXT4-fs (sdd1): re-mounted. Opts: acl,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user

Sep 14 13:22:22 pozz kernel: [38415.333917] EXT4-fs (sdd1): re-mounted. Opts: acl,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user

Sep 14 13:22:22 pozz kernel: [38415.454673] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: acl,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user

Sep 14 13:22:23 pozz kernel: [38415.503814] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: acl,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user

Sep 14 13:22:25 pozz systemd[1]: Reloading.

Sep 14 13:22:26 pozz systemd[1]: Started /bin/systemctl enable srv-mergerfs-pool1.mount.

Sep 14 13:22:26 pozz systemd[1]: Reloading.

Sep 14 13:22:27 pozz systemd[1]: run-r071381fa91ce4c21bd48b7fd39ed5b77.scope: Succeeded.

Sep 14 13:22:27 pozz systemd[1]: Mounting MergerFS mount for pool1...

Sep 14 13:22:27 pozz mount[171847]: * ERROR: unable to parse 'branches' - pool1:32e7fca8-b8e1-4e61-b1e9-c8bc2ea7d3dd

Sep 14 13:22:27 pozz mount[171847]: * ERROR: mountpoint not set

Sep 14 13:22:27 pozz systemd[1]: srv-mergerfs-pool1.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Sep 14 13:22:27 pozz systemd[1]: srv-mergerfs-pool1.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Sep 14 13:22:27 pozz systemd[1]: Failed to mount MergerFS mount for pool1.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried to find a tutorial on OMV6 but all I found on youtube is for OMV5 :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does /srv/mediapool exist? If that is the path you are trying to mount the mergerfs pool on, you are doing it wrong. You are not able to specify the mountpoint other than the pool name. So, if you pool1 is your pool name, /srv/mergerfs/pool1 will be your mount point.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the reply.

Could the error be related to the fact that both disks /Media and /Media2 have inside the same folders names?

e.g. /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media/Media/downloads and

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media2/Media2/downloads and can't be merged?

Do I need to rename the downloads folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I think you just have too many duplicates. You don't need to fill-in every field. Just add the follow to "Paths" and leave the filesystems and sharedfolders empty (they get converted to paths anyway).

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media/Media/downloads

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media2/Media2/downloads

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

can't read the error. If you go to the bell in the top right, it allows you to copy & paste the error instead of screenshot.

• Thanks for trying to troubleshoot this.

The error is

and journalctl -xe

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think this is happening because of your previous failed attempts. Have you tried rebooting to clear those out?

• I deleted now the /srv/mergerfs/* folders and I rebooted. Same error.

I still think since both disks (Media and Media2) have inside them similar folder structure (both have dowloads/daily/movies/camera folders) with just different files, somehow mergerfs can't combine them. This my wild guess.

Otherwise my system has no errors and I never had this plugin installed before (in omv5.x).

What do you think? Any other suggestion is welcome. Should I delete the sharedfolders first?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I still think since both disks (Media and Media2) have inside them similar folder structure (both have dowloads/daily/movies/camera folders) with just different files, somehow mergerfs can't combine them. This my wild guess.

That is not the problem.

I deleted now the /srv/mergerfs/* folders and I rebooted. Same error.

Don't do this. It will not help and you might make things worse.

What do you think? Any other suggestion is welcome. Should I delete the sharedfolders first?

If you have sharedfolders pointing at this pool, yes, I would delete them. I would delete this pool and try making a new one with a different name.

• Don't do this. It will not help and you might make things worse.

If you have sharedfolders pointing at this pool, yes, I would delete them. I would delete this pool and try making a new one with a different name.

Thanks, I will not do this in the future. I browsed as root with filezilla, and the folder was empty (/srv/mergerfs/pool), so I deleted and rebooted.

Just to be clear, I have no sharedfolders pointing to this pool nor any other pool, as I have no active pool. I never got it to work, this is my first time attempting :)

What I meant were the already existing sharedfolders (Media and Media2) which are independent, standalone ext4, not in any pool.

Or they don't interfere in any way? I don't know what other thing to do, I tried with different pool name, same error pops.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of: ls -al /etc/systemd/system/*.mount

• Code
    root@pozz:~# ls -al /etc/systemd/system/*.mount
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 522 Sep 15 00:34 /etc/systemd/system/srv-mergerfs-pool1.mount
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 289 Sep 13 14:05 /etc/systemd/system/tmp.mount

But my mergerfs section in the gui is empty. :(

also

Code
    root@pozz:~# ls -l /srv/mergerfs/pool1
    total 0

and pool1.mount

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about:

sudo rm -f /etc/systemd/system/srv-mergerfs-pool1.mount

sudo umount /srv/mergerfs/pool1

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

sudo salt-call -l debug --local --retcode-passthrough state.apply omv.deploy.mergerfs

The last command will be a lot of output. Easiest to put in text file and attach to post.

• Thanks!

Ran all your commands successfully. Last one output:

Summary for local

------------

Succeeded: 3 (changed=2)

Failed: 0

------------

Total states run: 3

Total run time: 27.704 ms

Do I try to recreate pool1? Let me reboot first.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I try to recreate pool1?

Did you not have a pool created? If not, then try creating one preferrably with a different name.

• Unfortunately, I get the same result

Code

Code
    root@pozz:~# ls -al /etc/systemd/system/*.mount
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 531 Sep 15 01:12 /etc/systemd/system/srv-mergerfs-pool.mount
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 289 Sep 13 14:05 /etc/systemd/system/tmp.mount
  • Zitat

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!