KVM Plugin feature request

• I use the KVM plugin to run a few VM's. It would be a great feature if you could easily specify static VNC and Spice ports without having to edit the XML's. Could be very handy for those that are not comfortable manually editing config files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It would be a great feature if you could easily specify static VNC and Spice ports without having to edit the XML's. Could be very handy for those that are not comfortable manually editing config files.

What is your use case? I have it auto-select so people don't try to use the same port for more than one VM.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Personally, My vm's are set to auto-start and I like to set them to use a specific port so that they stay static after a reboot and I don't have to open the OMV GUI to see what port a particular machine is using or guess at it when trying to use tight vnc to connect to them. I have been editing the xml's to make them static, but I just though it would be a nice feature to be able to set them without xml editing. Maybe having them default to automatic with an automatic check box or the like to allow a way to manually set them if the check box is cleared.

Just thought it would be a nice option to add.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My vm's are set to auto-start and I like to set them to use a specific port so that they stay static after a reboot and I don't have to open the OMV GUI to see what port a particular machine is using or guess at it when trying to use tight vnc to connect to them.

Personally, I think you should run a remote desktop (vnc, rdp, whatever) at the guest level. The VM level is for OS setup and repair in my opinion.

I just though it would be a nice feature to be able to set them without xml editing. Maybe having them default to automatic with an automatic check box or the like to allow a way to manually set them if the check box is cleared.

I will see how much of a change that would be.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Personally, I think you should run a remote desktop (vnc, rdp, whatever) at the guest level. The VM level is for OS setup and repair in my opinion.

I will see how much of a change that would be.

I used to use a VNC server on the guest, but about 5 or 7 years ago when I was running OMV 3 or 4 one of the VM's that is serving some software which is internet accessible via a web page was hacked into via vnc even though the vnc ports were not port forwarded through my router. The hacker even left a note on the VM's desktop. (A little hacker magic I guess).

Since then I have not run VNC or RDP servers from the VM's and have not encountered the issue again. The less access provided to an internet accessible machine the more secure it is from hacker activity.

Regardless of that though, the feature request is not about that issue. As I said I just thought it might be a nice and convenient feature, not so much for me, as I don't mind the little xml edit, but more so for others that are afraid of a bit of CLI work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the feature request is not about that issue

It is just a discussion whether I need to put a lot of work into the plugin. You are the first to ask for this in the almost two years the kvm plugin has been around. So, adding it for other users doesn't seem to be an issue. I will still look into it but I like to know why I am adding something.

• Fair enough.

For what it’s worth though, and to explain why this popped into my head as a potential nice feature for others, in my day job as a combination systems admin and media producer in a video post production facility, I am always looking for ways to make things easier for the other people in the facility that are less “tech savvy”, so that outlook tends to spill over into everything that I use.

I’m not trying to make work for you, just making a suggestion that might make the plug-in a little better for people that are a little more advanced than the beginner.

I appreciate you even considering the idea.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wrote the plugin to make things easier for people including myself. Some of my duties at work are VMware admin and lots of VMware automation. So, I use the console a lot. I have never needed to set static ports for vnc/spice on my servers at home.

• Stumbled across this thread via search and just wanted to add my 2 cents with regards to this feature:

In my case, the automatic port selection conflicted with a Docker container that was already using port 5900. When I start the VM manually, it works fine because it selects 5901 and 5902 for VNC and Spice. However, when using autostart, it selects 5900 for VNC, which makes the Docker container fail.

Either way, I need to reconfigure either the Docker container or change the ports on the VM. Of course, the latter is possible through XML editing, but I was still surprised to see no easier method in the plugin's UI. The ports are displayed in the VM list, so I did sort of expect to see a "change port" or "edit" button or something. Or maybe to set an "allowed" range of ports, so I can better avoid these conflicts in the future.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, just a usability nitpick.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the latter is possible through XML editing, but I was still surprised to see no easier method in the plugin's UI. The ports are displayed in the VM list, so I did sort of expect to see a "change port" or "edit" button or something.

Unfortunately, there is no api to change the port. So, the plugin would have to change the port in xml then stop and start the VM. This is the same thing you would have to do except you would manually edit the xml.

• Hello!

I want to forward the VNC port in my router and connect to my Debian 12 VM over the internet. How can I secure vnc connection and add permanent password for VNC connection?

I edit the xml, paste it there - passwd='12345', in the graphics section:

Code
        <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' listen='0.0.0.0' passwd='12345'>
          <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
        </graphics>

When I start the VM, connect to the VNC, I am asked to enter a password, I enter 12345, and I get into my VM, everything is fine.

But on the next restart, my passvd='12345' disappears and the xml returns to its original form.

How to make it permanent?

• VNC directly over the internet is not a good idea as it is very weak on security and not encrypted, which I found out as you will note in my post #5 above.

If you want internet access to your VM's you would be better off using Apache Guacamole as a "middle man" if you want to self host, or some other remote desktop service like Teamviewer, Anydesk, etc.

I personally use dwservice (dwservice.net). It is free and completely cross platform capable. There are also subscription levels you can opt into if you want to help support the project. I opted to do the lowest tier at $3 USD per month.

A self hosted setup like guacamole will require opening additional ports in your router, while the service do not, so they are more secure in that sense too.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!