Fresh install and immediately my Router is being bombarded by ping requests from foreign countries

• Setup a brand new OMV setup. Within hours my router is being bombarded with ping requests to the OMV ip and port. Port forwarding is off. No attempt to connect out of my private VLan and it should stay internal. So the only thing i can think of is that somehow OMV is able to be seen by Shodan? What is going on, this software is crazy unsafe.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How did you install? If your router isn't port forwarding, Shodan (had to look up what that was) shouldn't even know it exists. Lots of things scan for a web server which is what OMV is and is on the standard port.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• But since i don't HAVE any open ports and i am openly blocking every country that has recently pinged me. Which has me wondering why in over two years i have never seen any activity. But install OMV and boom, Russia, China, Iran are all suddenly interested in my ip address and i have received 50 pings over the last few hours. I have taken OMV offline and will look at a different solution. But i would not even known about it if i wasn't scanning for it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But install OMV and boom, Russia, China, Iran are all suddenly interested in my ip address and i have received 50 pings over the last few hours

You didn't tell me how you installed OMV but unless you installed packages from a different repo that had hacked packages, I honestly don't believe this story.

I have taken OMV offline and will look at a different solution. But i would not even known about it if i wasn't scanning for it.

OMV is NOT causing this if you use the actual OMV repo. And very strange that you are scanning for it and it actually happens. I have used OMV since the beginning and have never had this happen. If you are scanning incoming hits, why not track outgoing traffic and tell us what servers are being hit??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Worse than that is how an internal, non-routable network address was pinged within hours of setting up OMV?

Are you trolling? How would an internal non-routable address be pinged from the outside world? What is pinging it? And how would someone ping a NAT'd address from the internet? That doesn't even make sense.

• No torrents, all pings attempting to contact the OMV server itself, and my thoughts exactly. Will turn off all my docker containers and see if it stops. Perhaps a github repository was poisoned.

• Offizieller Beitrag

all pings attempting to contact the OMV server itself

How? OMV wouldn't know its internet ip address and nothing on the internet would be able to contact it at it internal address. What is the url it is trying to hit? Show us the logs.

Will turn off all my docker containers and see if it stops.

What images? If they are file sharing, they are causing the problem not OMV.

Perhaps a github repository was poisoned.

Really? Only one person has the ability to commit. So, I doubt it. I look at every commit as well. And many other OMV users would be having this happen.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No torrents, all pings attempting to contact the OMV server itself, and my thoughts exactly. Will turn off all my docker containers and see if it stops. Perhaps a github repository was poisoned.

Can I ask you what router are you using?. Is this is one of the OTC Consumer grade type or something else?.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!