Changing "admin" username

• So, this is the first time I'm installing OpenMediaVault, and the first thing I looked for a way to do was to change the admin username. I came across this post that made me realize that the admin account was just another linux username... so I went about it the following way:

1. Opened up a console session (root) and executed the following:
      usermod -l NewAdminUserNameWithMixedCase admin
    2. Went ahead and edited the OMV config file:
      nano /etc/default/openmediavault
    3. Changed the OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINUSER_NAME entry to:
      OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINUSER_NAME=NewAdminUserNameWithMixedCase

P.S. Why MixedCaseUserName? Cause I felt like it, and Linux generally uses lowercase usernames anyway, so why not push the envelope if it works? Just adds yet another layer of difficulty. Of course, I'm not sure if the mixed-case username will work on OMV package update, but you can always revisit step 1 substituting admin for whatever the username ends up being. And to know what that username ended up being, you can always use the following command:
            grep -i --color 'openmediavault-admin' /etc/group

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no reason to change the username. If you want to use a different user, create a new user and add that user to the openmediavault-admin group. If you don't want admin to be an OMV admin anymore, remove that user from the openmediavault-admin group.

You also don't need to change OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINUSER_NAME. It just makes sure that an admin user is created when installing OMV.

As for mixed case username, Linux doesn't care. You aren't pushing the envelope and it will just work.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, this is the first time I'm installing OpenMediaVault, and the first thing I looked for a way to do was to change the admin username. I came across this post that made me realize that the admin account was just another linux username... so I went about it the following way:

1. Opened up a console session (root) and executed the following:
      usermod -l NewAdminUserNameWithMixedCase admin
    2. Went ahead and edited the OMV config file:
      nano /etc/default/openmediavault
    3. Changed the OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINUSER_NAME entry to:
      OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINUSER_NAME=NewAdminUserNameWithMixedCase

P.S. Why MixedCaseUserName? Cause I felt like it, and Linux generally uses lowercase usernames anyway, so why not push the envelope if it works? Just adds yet another layer of difficulty. Of course, I'm not sure if the mixed-case username will work on OMV package update, but you can always revisit step 1 substituting admin for whatever the username ends up being. And to know what that username ended up being, you can always use the following command:
            grep -i --color 'openmediavault-admin' /etc/group

I will never for the life of me understand people's obsession with this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!